9.

There was a lighter energy in the office without Mr. Hayes presence. The usual tension had melted like warm butter and I could finally take in the beautiful 360 degree view in front of me. Rain fell outside the window and I watched as it poured onto the city, as if I had a view from heaven.

"Lucky me," I say quietly, and for the first time in a long time, I actually mean it.

I sit down at my desk with a latte, warming my cold hands against the hot mug as I get settled into my leather chair. I review meeting notes from conferences Mr. Hayes was unable to attend during his trip. I take note of the necessary contracts that would need to be written up and a where follow up action would be needed on his part.

I check his itinerary to see what time he would be landing today and email the driver to confirm 9pm airport pick up.

The rest of the day breezed by, and at promptly at 6pm the driver was waiting outside for me. His black suit matched the large black Escalade he stood outside of. I tightened the scarf around my neck as I exit the building.

"Hello Miss Wright," he said as he opened the door for me. I slid into the car, already noticing the seat warmers radiating heat through my shivering body.

"Hi Antonio, how are you?" I asked politely.

"Very well. I love driving in the rain," he smiled gently, his soft voice full of pure positivity.

"Me too," I smiled back.

"You are in luck then," his eyes shifted to meet mine in the rear view mirror, "Your car is as good as new. The mechanic dropped it off in your apartment complex parking lot."

My face lit up, "Yay!"

"Mr. Hayes has covered the mechanic bills and has filled the gas tank. You are all set to drive to work tomorrow, but please keep my number as I am only a call away. Your keys are right here in the center console."

"Thank you Antonio, I really appreciate it." The kindness both he and Mr. Hayes have showed me was more than I had felt in years.

Just as Antonio had said, my car was parked in front of my apartment. There it sat in all it's glory, as good as a beat up 23 year old car could look. I smiled before heading up to my apartment.

Opening my front door I'm harshly greeted with a frigid air. I throw on an extra jacket and tightly wrap my scarf around my neck. The bucket I had put below my leaking roof was nearly full. I sigh as I pour out the water into the sink.

The buzz of my phone pulls me out of my thoughts.

Hey babe, thanks for covering tonight, I owe you one. Don't forget it's red night.

I mildly regret my kindness as my eyes flutter closed for a quick second. I can't help but roll my eyes thinking about Alex's newly implemented weekly color coordinated dress code. He says it will make us look more "put together" but I say it's just another desperate attempt to exert control over us.

Searching through the top drawer of my dresser, I pull out a red mini skirt and a matching lace bralette. Completing the looked with some red lipstick and winged eyeliner, I bundle up and head out the door with my heels in my hand.

Jack greets me at the back door, a cigarette glowing between his finger. He holds the door open with a soft smile as he sends a greeting nod in my direction.

"Have a good shift," he says, his gruff voice turns to vapor in the frigid air before he takes a long drag from his cigarette.

"Thanks Jack," I rush in, unable to bear the cold another minute.

I peel off my layers, revealing my red lingerie and touch up my hair and makeup in the mirror. Surprisingly satisfied with the way I look tonight, I step out from the purple curtain.

Sweat drips down my chest as I drop low to the ground, moving my body in a slow fluid motion. I bite my lip and utilize my bedroom eyes directing them at the men sitting in front watching me. They hoot and holler, their eyes gleaming with lust and excitement, but all I can think about is how their tips are going to pay for my leaking roof, a thought that motivates me further.

The music bumps and the red lights shining on the stage reflect off the latex worn by the dancer next to me. Alex sits in the back at the bar. He watches us, barely blinking an eye and judging every move we make. The other dancer and I make quick eye contact, and with a knowing look we express our annoyance.

I snake my body and run my hands over my hips, moving slowly and seductively. My eyes connect with Alex and he sends a nod of approval, apparently satisfied with my performance. I turn around, my back facing the audience making sure Alex doesn't see my disgusted look.

As the end of the night rolls around, I re-bundle up backstage. With my coat wrapped around my body and heels in hand, I make a run for my car. I slide into the drivers seat, fumbling to put my keys in the ignition and turn on the heater. Slowly my shivering body warms up as I drive towards my apartment.

Stepping out of my car, I make my way up the stairs with tired eyes and a yearning to crawl in bed and sleep for days.

As I round the corner I hear my name. My gaze shoots up from the ground making contact with none other than Leo Hayes.

He stands in front of my door, his suit still perfectly pressed and looking just as good as usual

My eyebrows knit in confusion as I respond,"Uhm...Mr Hayes. What are you doing here?" My surprise and discomfort evident in my tone.

"You weren't answering your phone," he says in a serious tone, "I need the paperwork from the todays meetings so I can draw up the contracts."

His eyes suddenly meet mine. He scans my face, taking in my appearance, his eyes drop to the stilettos in my hand. His gaze darkens and his jaw clenches, only making his jawline more defined. I'm suddenly self conscious of my glittery eyeliner, bright red lipstick and the red stilettos in my hand. I'm sure he barely recognized this version of me, the version that I had hoped he would never see.

******
AUTHORS NOTE:
Thank you so much for sticking with this story! I'm so excited  for it to unfold. Please don't forget to vote if you are enjoying it! Votes and comments have really encouraged me to continue this story and give it my all.

All my love,
Alexandra