Page 5

I woke to the murmur of the voices of my general and the commander.

"I can send Marcus, Liam, and Oliver. They are loyal men and they can be discreet. We could know a preliminary number by the end of next week."

"Do it, the sooner we know what's happening in the kingdom and how many still are loyal then the sooner we can plan." The commander moved to the flap and asked a passing soldier to find the men he'd spoken of and bring them back. I sat up but let out a hiss when I felt pain run through my back and hips. The general came over a smirk on his lips.

"I know, I know I should have waited longer before traveling." He'd said the same thing as often as I think he felt he could. I had been sore from the attack, add on days of walking and riding and i was very sore now. "Don't remind me that you were right and get me some wine, my throat is dry." It wasn't really but i wanted him to stop smirking at me.

"I'll see about some breakfast. If I retrieve it myself then we won't have to involve anyone we don't fully trust yet."

"Thank you." I said to the commander, he bowed before leaving us alone. the general gave me my wine and went back to the table where several maps were laid out.

"We have been considering places where you might be safe."

"Yes, before we get into that i want to ask you about what you said last night." I set the glass aside and stood carefully. He glanced at me but went back to the maps.

"What about it?"

"My father was going to end the engagement, why?"

"He'd learned that your fiance was not the man he pretended to be in public. He feared what kind of husband he'd be to you."

"There's more you didn't say last night. What is it?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"Yes you do." I stepped around the table so that we were facing each other. When he didn't look up I placed my hand on the map forcing him to look up at me since he couldn't see the map anymore. "What did you leave out last night?" he sighed and straightened crossing his arms.

"Ask a question and I'll answer truthfully." Meaning if I didn't ask the right question I might not learn what had really gone on. I could pull rank and force him to tell me since I was his monarch but I wouldn't do that, not with him. What did I need to know? Why he'd killed my father. But I'd gotten that answer already. My fiancé had been found out as a liar. I knew what darkness was in him, I'd felt it first hand before escaping, but...

"What did my father learn?"

"He learned that your fiancé had a tendency to beat and even maim his lovers. He gambled, drank and whored like there would be no tomorrow. Not exactly the kind of person you want your only son to marry, or the kind of person to lead a nation." I wanted to not believe it but after what'd he'd done to me I believed it all. What else did I want to know?

"Why did you leave my father that night?"

"After seeing him to his room I secured his door with two guards and went for a walk."

"Why?"

"Because I had a personal matter to think on and fresh air helps me."

"Personal matter to think on? You left my father to think, he's dead because you needed to think? If you'd been there he wouldn't have been killed." The moment the words left my mouth I knew they were a lie. Just because he was there doesn't mean that he'd have prevailed. My former fiancé was a skilled man. The general could have easily failed. "I'm sorry. That is not true. There is no reason to say your presence would have made a difference."