Chapter 7: No Honor

Los Palmas, Qua Toyne's Occupied Territory

11th October 1639 CCY

After the disastrous battle of Gim, the army of the Eastern Lord has lost about half of their number, almost all their trebuchets, and most of the cavalry annihilated without achieving anything. They are forced to fall back to their base camp.

"H-how did we lose this bad...?" – Duke Junfilla, general of the Eastern Subjugation army.

"Half of our men... almost all of our calvary..." – Baron Carlos

"The heavy weapons... we cannot do anything about their castle without our trebuchets..." – Earl Benito

The generals of the attack on Gim hung their heads low while discussing their loss and the failed objective. They are worried. After their defeat at the hand of the Japanese, their force has depleted too much to continue.

"We have no other option... we need to request for reinforcement... and try again." – Count Dante

The only good thing that the Eastern Army has achieved is surrounding the city of Gim. Despite one of the main attacks on the major settlement of Gim having failed, however, other flanks have gained more land than expected, and have made a bulge around the city of Gim, potentially threatening Eijei and other coastal settlements. But reports come back from the front lines all say they only capture empty towns. It was definitely odd, how did those lowly demi-humans manage to evacuate most of their villages just before the invasion. It was thought as some demi-human sympathizers had informed them beforehand, so the Enforcers of Hark are already investigating.

Despite the other flanks have gained more than expected. It would be for nought if they can't take control of the supply roads from Gim. Their right flanks would be vulnerable from attack into the their flanks and cut off from their supply if they try to go all the way to Eijei. Attacking a fort like Eijei without proper line of supply will only result in failure, and a waste of both time and man power. On the other hand the left flanks would be vulnerable from attack from the sea now that news of the Navy's recent defeat has reached them. They'll also meet similar setbacks to the right flanks as there is no other large settlement that they can plunder. All sign point the general to take Gim at all cost.

While the occupying the land of the beastkin, the Lourians encounter many surprising things in those captured villages. The road is so smooth many thought it was made from a single slab of stone. The water system of the village is also very developed. Weird crops can be seen everywhere, the kind that they have never seen before. And some houses have weird appliances that even the smartest of smiths can't figure out what they are for, or how to make them, like the one that they are currently occupying. Suddenly, the door bolted open.

"W-wait a minute, oh generals! Please, hear me out!" – Mage officer Washuna

The mage officer Washuna barged in from the front. He seems to be on edge like something unsettling just happened. Other than his staff, he's holding some very old books related to magic and history.

"Now now, Washuna, calm down. Take a seat." – Duke Junfilla

"Thank you, sir. Hah... hah..." – Washuna

He sits down and puts the books on the table. And when he has finally calmed down, he begins to speak.

"In the last battle, as you have seen with your own eyes, our enemy, as they called themselves "Japan", had employed large-scale explosion magic... and golems." – Washuna

"Yes... those golems and magic have done a number on us... so, what is your point, did you find a way to counter them?" – Count Dante

"No... I afraid... that I can't." – Washuna