1.5

❝Every word has consequences

❝Every word has consequences. Every silence, too.❞

JEAN-PAUL SARTRE

1.5 : butterflies

FIN STARES AT HER QUOTE WALL. IT'S ONLY HALF-FULL, AND EVEN SO, THERE ARE LIKE TWO HUNDRED INDEX CARDS TAPED THERE. She wants to add something. It's been almost two months since she's added a new quote to her wall.

I have nature and art and poetry, and if that is not enough, what is enough? - Vincent van Gogh.

But it's almost seven-forty-five, which means she should probably leave for work. So she grabs her coffee, her keys, the newest batch of cookies, and her purse, and heads out the door.

Arctic Monkeys is playing on the radio, which means today should be a good day. Fin sings along to "Flourescent Adolescent", and when she pulls into the parking lot, she sees her favorite doctor walking toward the door, too.

"Hey, genius," she says with a grin, grabbing her coffee and locking her car.

Spencer looks up, startled, and then smiles. "Good morning." He holds the door for her and waits for her to walk through before following her. "How was your morning?"

"Fantastic," Fin sighs, showing the guard her ID and stepping through the security gate. "My coffee was perfect this morning, my cookies turned out great, and Arctic Monkeys was on the radio."

Spencer nods agreeably. "Sounds like a good morning."

"What about you? Did you solve quantum theory or discover sustainable life on Mars?"

"Almost. I reread Ulysses and forgot to eat breakfast."

"Spencer, what have I told you about skipping meals?"

"Which time? I remember them all."

Fin rolls her eyes at him, pushing the button on the elevator and stepping inside. "It's not healthy. You could get a heart disease or diabetes."

"Fine." Spencer points to the container in her hand. "May I have a cookie?"

"That's not breakfast."

"What kind of cookies are they?"

"Peanut butter." Fin opens the container and hands him one. "This doesn't count as breakfast."

Spencer just bites into the cookie and nods appreciatively. They step out of the elevator and when Fin pushes open the doors to the BAU, she sees Penelope standing by Morgan's desk, deep in conversation with him and Emily. Penelope's rarely out of her lair this early; Fin wonders if something's wrong.