12 | Franken Erudition

I PARKED MY car and made it inside the Vitale estate with ten minutes to spare

Please, don't let me be the only one dressed up.

The thought played like a sinister mantra in my mind, fueling my apprehension as I made my way towards the sound of conversation.

The idea of standing out like a sore thumb amidst a sea of mundane outfits made my palms clammy with anxiety. But just as I was about to succumb to my fears, I caught a glimpse of a shadowy figure in the hallway.

I felt like I could have cried from relief when I saw a variation of Dracula standing in the hallway just outside of the room, sporting a black cape with a flute of champagne in his hand.

As I approached him, my eyes flickered briefly over the man's costume before I strode past him and into the grand dining room. The vast space was lavishly decorated with glistening chandeliers, flickering candles and some gothic-looking Halloween decor.

It was strange how my mama's foster home radiated such vibrant and cheerful colours, while the Vitale estate boasted opulent decor and darker, richer hues. Despite their vastly different aesthetics, both places had a certain charm to them.

To the left, I noticed a long banquet table that overflowed with an array of tantalizing foods. My mouth watered at the sight.

Without hesitation, I made my way to the far end of the table, where an assortment of desserts had been laid out. Weaving my way past the other guests adorned in a myriad of capes, top hats, and other costume variations, I carefully placed the box of cookies I had brought next to the other treats before reaching out for a plate.

The cat-decorated container sat conspicuously among the elegant dishes, a whimsical addition that seemed to defy the refined atmosphere of the dining hall.

As I surveyed the array of desserts, a pit of disappointment fell in my stomach. All of the plates were meticulously labelled with their name and allergens, and to my dismay, every dessert had milk or egg listed as one of them. A cruel fate indeed, for a vegan with a dangerous sweet tooth.

I let out a dejected sigh and picked up one of the pumpkin cookies I had brought, eyeing the velvet chocolate truffles wistfully.

"Boo," a voice whisper-yelled in my ear.

My trembling hands let go of the cookie, causing it to fall back onto the plate and crumble into multiple pieces. I turned toward the voice.

"Woah," Gianna said, her golden hair swaying as she stepped back. "I really scared you there, huh?"

"Yeah, you did." My lips curved into a smile as I picked up the broken cookie. "I wasn't expecting that."

Gianna pouted, her full blood-red lips making her look like a sultry pirate. "Do I look that scary?"

Her pirate ensemble consisted of a frilly white dress that stopped mid-thigh, highlighting her long, tanned legs. A tight-fitting red corset cinched her waist. Black knee-high boots adorned with silver buckles hugged her calves, and a small dagger was tucked into the top of her boot. She tilted her head, the brim of her black tricorn hat casting a shadow over her face, waiting for my response.