00 | English Erudition

"𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 have violent ends

"𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒 have violent ends. And in their triumph die, like fire and powder, which as they kiss consume. The sweetest honey is loathsome in his own deliciousness. And in the taste confounds the appetite. Therefore, love moderately; long love doth so; Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow."

The illustrious excerpt of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet drifted through the room, a soft symphony of star-crossed beginnings and tragic endings. It was the ultimate tragedy. The tragedy of the narrow-minded overcome by the tragedy of their doomed successors. The conquerors became the conquered and subsequently, they fell and became a product of their own destruction.

And to be destroyed is to be broken. Completely and Irremediably broken. Learnt only through the calamity of Romeo and Juliet, two things are revealed to fuel the catalyst of your own ruination; yourself and love.

"Racing ahead, as usual, Zahra?" My English literature professor leaned over my shoulder.

Ceasing my hurried writing, I lifted my head to meet his eyes that were dancing with mirth."You know me, professor Miller," I beamed at him, "Always eager to write an essay about the double suicide of two love-struck teenagers."

He chuckled in response and lowered his head so he was looking at me over the plastic rim top of his glasses. "Spoken like a true literature student," he said before returning to his position at the front of the lecture room.

Sebastian Miller was a man of many talents, always showing great aptitude for literature and an ardent enthusiasm about books. He could ramble for hours about whatever he was currently reading, whether it be a classic novel, a Greek dictionary or a cookery book.

My mother had been friends with him since my childhood. His passion was infectious and I had caught the disease. He had taken me with him to the library once and my love of reading stemmed from there and only continued to grow.

Now, here I am. Seated in his lecture room, learning about what I love most in the tranquil ambience of a college lecture.

The few remaining minutes of the lecture were spent with me scribbling down anything that came to mind whilst I reread through my copy of Romeo and Juliet.

The shrill ring of a bell filled the spacious room, cutting Professor Miller off, and led to the rapid packing away of students' belongings. He only waved his hand in a dismissive gesture at the lack of attention from the other students who were eager to leave and retire to their student accommodations for the weekend.

I took my time packing up my things, carefully trying to avoid crumpling any important papers.

"Zahra," Professor Miller's voice called out, through the loud movements of the bustling students.

I rose to my feet and walked up to where he was seated , elbows resting on his desk.

He waited until the last guy closed the door behind him before moving his hazel eyes to me.

"I have something for you," he reached inside his blazer pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper.

He extended his arm towards me and I took the paper from his hands. Unfolding the paper, I examined the messy black ink.

"Knightbridge Estate, Saturday at seven pm RV," I read aloud, slightly confused. "What does that mean?"

He was grinning as he replied."I got you a once in a lifetime opportunity."

I arched a brow."And that opportunity is what exactly?" I questioned, not bothering to hide my curiosity.

"The paper," he said,"It's the time and location of the exclusive book club at Knightbridge Estate. "

"And what exactly happens at this book club?" My eyes returned to the paper with a new-found interest. "The secrecy seems a little suspicious, don't you think?"

He chuckled in amusement, making doubt crawl in my mind.

"what?"

He laughed, once and his eyebrows drew together in confusion."You have never heard of Knightbridge estate?"

"No, but I'm assuming whoever lives there is hosting the whole thing."

"Your assumptions would be correct,then," he removed his elbows from his desk and rested them on the armchair, leaning back. "Basically, you go, you talk about books and then you leave."

"Okay," I nodded, shoving the paper into my jean pocket. "I'll go."

I turned and made my way towards the exit.

"I'm expecting to hear only good things from you on Monday," he said when I reached the door.

"Of course," I replied, grabbing ahold of the handle. The cold of the metal evoked a myriad of goosebumps to surface along my arms.

"oh, wait," I spun round to face him. "what does RV stand for?"

He looked at me as though I should understand the meaning of two random letters scribbled out on a piece of paper."It's the man who owns the estate."

I blinked, still no closer to understanding who RV was.

Fortunately, he took my silence as a sign I had no idea who he was talking about.

"Romero Vitale."

Although the name was unfamiliar, I nodded anyway, feigning knowledge of the man and Sebastian looked relieved.

Pulling the door open, I could feel the restrained excitement radiating from me as I strolled out of the lecture room and down the narrow hallways to my room.

I had hope that this book club would be a delight and an amazing opportunity to broaden my knowledge, but as Shakespeare promised, violent delights will have violent ends.

I know I said I wasn't going to update for a while but I got sent home from school because of corona and had some free time
Vote/Comment if you liked
or tell me if you didn't lol
I apologise for any mistakes