𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎

𝙱𝚎𝚕𝚕𝚎 𝙻𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎

Walking through the doors of the hideout, I felt eyes follow us like we were rare zebras on the hunt. The head of the order had called and let both Kyle and I know that we needed to come in - which was rare.

Stepping into his office, I felt all the eyes move, and a brick lifted off of my chest.

"What did she do now?" Kyle asked as he closed the door behind us.

I rolled my eyes, before sitting down in front of Diggory's desk. He sighed, looking at me, and I sighed. I did do something wrong.

"How was New York?" he asked.

I shrugged as Kyle sat down beside me. "As busy as one would expect."

"Anything interesting happen over the past two weeks?" he asked, rearranging files on his desk.

Kyle looked at me, before back at Diggory. "Not something worth reporting, sir. We were on vacation, not a mission."

Diggory sighed, pulling a file in front of him. "New sightings of the dark mark were found in America - all in New York's area."

The brick fell back onto my chest from the top of the heavens.

"Did you not perhaps see anything?"

"No, sir," Kyle answered, shaking his head.

Diggory sighed, pushing the file towards us. I took it before Kyle could even reach it. Inside were photos of that stupid dark mark, and all in odd places. Trashed alleyways, old parks, burning buildings, etc.

"It must be an old death eater."

"Of course," Kyle told Diggory. "How else would they know how to cast the spell? Half of them were killed, but that doesn't mean the entire other half was found and sent to prison."

I looked at them. Then at Diggory. "Is that all why we've been called in?"

The head of the order - Cedric Diggory - stood up and shook his head. "Your year-long relationship has passed. Only a year- that was the deal, right?"

I swallowed the saliva that was gathered in my mouth, and looked at Kyle. He put on a smile.

"Actually," he said, looking at me, then back at Diggory. "Belle and I decided on actually keep on dating."

Diggory hit with surprise. "You do now?"

He knew best of all how much we used to despise each other - and part of me still despised him.

"In New York we realized that maybe we're actually worth a match," Kyle explained as if he had memorized what to say. "But we won't let that get in the way of our job, sir. We can promise you that."

When Diggory looked at me, I plastered on a quick, hopefully believable, smile. He looked at Kyle again, then smiled.

"I'm glad you've found your matches then," he said sarcastically. "You're dismissed."

I don't think I've ever left a room so quickly.

Eyes followed after Kyle and I, even though I was a couple feet ahead of him. He calmly followed with his hands in his pockets.

I burst out of the doors, and went straight to the car, where I ended up having to wait for him anyways. I was impatient.

He really did remember what happened that night, and he really did mean what he said. I'm sure he was thanking his drunk self every night.

For the past couple of days I was even to scared to sleep in the same bed with him. I did anyways, but I'd turn my back to him, and lay on my side. Sometimes he'd try to pull me to him, but if I flinched, he'd just leave me.

Now I'd avoid being calm and vulnerable around him. I knew he wasn't openly and randomly rough, but if he got angry I'd have a lot to deal with, and I wasn't necessarily strong enough to defend myself. Worst part was - he used that to his advantage when he was angry.

Kyle stepped beside me and opened the car door. I thanked him and got in, where he closed it. He walked to the driver's seat and got in, before pulling into the street.

"So what are we getting for dinner?" he asked casually.

I shrugged. "Anything, I don't care."

He looked down at me. I cradled my feet up onto the seat, while leaning them against the door, looking out of the window.

"Chinese or Indian?" he asked, turning a corner.

I shrugged again. "Anything, Kyle. You know I'm not picky."

"But I'm asking you," he said, and I sighed, looking at him.

"Chinese."

"Noodles or sushi?"

"Noodles," I said, putting on a weak smile.

He sighed. "You're not in trouble at work, you know? This shit happens-"

"We were in New York," I told him. "We were there when eight out of eleven death marks lit. They're going to think it was us," I was convinced.

"They won't," he told me. "You've worked with this order for six years, and I've worked with you for three. They'll know well that this could not have been us."

I scoffed lightly. "Please. These marks started three years ago. You think they won't think up some pattern?"

"They won't have to think it up," he said, earning a glare. "We've done nothing wrong, Belle. You know that."

I sighed, looking out of the car window again. "I just should have changed my name at Hogwarts," I mumbled.

It would have saved me so much trouble. Still having my biological mother's last name was like having the death mark. So little amount of people trusted me.

"You'll be fine, Belle," Kyle told me. "I promise you."

I struggled to trust his promises.

~

"Seriously," I mumbled as I leaned down, picking up the newspaper in front of our apartment door. "I thought we told them to stop bringing us newspapers."

"They forget," Kyle said as he pushed the door open, balancing the Chinese in his hands.

I threw the paper onto the table, before opening the fridge, taking juice out.

"Who's Theodore Nott?"

I froze, before cocking my he'd towards Kyle who stood at the counter, unpacking the food.

"What?" I asked.

He looked at me. "Newspaper says Theodore Nott has been set free from Azkaban after eight years."

I grabbed the paper off of the counter, before looking at the moving images. Theodore really stood there, and the highlight said he was set free.

My heart sank.

"He's out?" I mumbled. "How the fuck?"

"Know him?" Kyle asked, frowning.

I looked at him. "Know him? He's the one who killed Mattheo."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆