Chapter 21

The novel [I Shall Save My Knight] was a romance novel telling the tale of love between Crown Prince Nathaniel and Paisley Deor. Many people challenged their relationship and acted as obstacles.

Majorly it was Adrianna, the villainess' role to do so, but there were other antagonistic characters in the story.

The Emperor had strongly opposed the relationship between Paisley and Nathan in the story. His exact reasons as to why, is hard to recall in detail, but it was obvious from the contents of the story, the Emperor deemed Paisley as an unsuitable candidate for Crown Princess.

So what is this letter I read?

{To Marquis Deor,
         It is with confidentiality that His Majesty, the Emperor, discloses this information to you. Three weeks after Crown Prince Nathaniel's debut, there shall be a selection for his Crown Princess.
         By royal order, your daughter Paisley Deor has been nominated as a candidate for the position and shall participate alongside other suitable candidates in the upcoming selection.
                                    Emperor's Decree.}

The official insignia of the Imperial family was stamped at the end of the letter alongside the Emperor's signature, boldly displayed beneath the text.

In the novel, there had been no such thing as a Crown Princess selection. It seemed my actions in changing some things had brought this about. Nathaniel's debut had happened when he was eighteen in the novel, but I had it delayed.

I had even made society believe that he was dead for some time. It seems that my decisions in the past have come back to bite me.

'If anyone from the Deor family is selected as a candidate for Crown Princess, shouldn't it be me?'

Gently, I set down the letter on father's desk while wondering what could be on the Emperor's mind to make such a decision.

It was good I had this much information. The letter said the crown princess selection would be held three weeks after Nathan's debut. But it didn't state the day of his debut.

That was because Nathaniel hadn't reported back to the Emperor and had been following my orders.

The war led by Nathan, between our Empire and a neighboring kingdom had already ended. Nathan was just prolonging the process for my sake because I hadn't finished planning our wedding.

It seems like time wasn't on my side.

But no matter. I could work with this. Three weeks after his debut gave me enough time to execute a plan which began to formulate in my head.

I couldn't help it, but have a little laugh burst out of my lips. How happy I was knowing that I was a step ahead of everyone else.

"Pfft. Haha!"

Father raised an eyebrow at my behavior. I smiled at his confusion and said.

"You think Paisley has what it takes to be Empress? Besides it's a Crown Princess selection. Other lady's will be there. What makes you so sure my stupid sister will win?"

Father took back the letter and kept it in his drawer as he answered me.

"She'll win. You have to understand Adrianna, I always have my way"

"We'll see"

Truly, I felt excited with this piece of news. Father didn't know my relationship with Nathan. In the past, he had never gotten a clue that the mysterious Crown Prince Nathaniel had grown up with me here in the Deor mansion.

The element of surprise is one of my favorite aspects of an attack. At this point of time, even the Emperor couldn't stop my success.

The setting sun caught my attention. It shone on father's desk, illuminating the documents which lay on it. Ah, evening had come.