Chapter 23

“So what do you say Lady Adrianna? Are you going to stand against us, or join us and be on the winning side?”

The Duke grinned at me. He seemed confident that I’d accept his offer.

“I’ll be on the winning side”

"As expected. You're making the right decision joining us-

"I'm not joining you" I cut in. "But I will succeed. I have no reason to be allies with anyone, or become an enemy...yet"

I lied. The two had already been considered as enemies and would be executed once I became Empress. Their power hungriness marked them as threats on my list.

The Duke's gentle smile froze on his face, immediately falling and forming a frown.

"It's either you're with us and help us, or against us and die" He said.

"Speak quickly. We don't have the time!" Father added.

I had wanted to stand on neutral grand, just in case this whole rebellion thing succeeded. But the Duke was determined to me under the classification of either enemy or ally.

In that case....

"I can't assist you with what you asked for... marrying Ronald and giving birth to a child is out of the question"

I even used my nicest tone to speak to the Duke, but he set down his utensils rather loudly then glared at me vehemently and said.

"Tsk. I thought you were wise"

"Wisdom entails that I decline your offer"

I was starting to get annoyed. The desire to get up and walk out gnawed at me. Or maybe hypnotize the Duke into spilling all I needed to hear? No, father was here seething in rage. 

Call me egoistical, but I wasn’t willing to work as a puppet for anyone. I also knew better than to make an alliance with father and someone as cunning as the Duke. I’d probably be disposed of once I had been used. Father hated me to the bone, my death would be orchestrated if he seized power 

And who wanted to birth Ronald’s child? Certainly not me. I wouldn’t exchange Nathan, the great male lead for a man who was regarded as a useless entity, even by his own father. And what if the Duke didn’t keep to his words?

After all, if he could plan to get rid of his own son, who then was an exception? Not me, who would give him a grandchild possessing great magic and there in be deemed as useless.

So, no, I wasn't going to be part of a rebellion whatsoever. My marriage with Nathan was already assuring me the seat of Empress.

Confidently I'd refuse the offer of a furious Marquis and the Duke who looked at me with pity.

The Duke shook his head, staring at me. 

"You're making a mistake"

"Oh really?" I questioned, with a smirk.
"So, are you going to kill me tonight?"

"No. I said I'd let you live to see us succeed then kill you when regret is tormenting you"

Father hit his fist against the table angrily. He shouted. "No! I'm killing this b*tch tonight!"

"Marquis, I said we're not killing her. She's still wedding Ronald tomorrow. We've invited some important guests"

"B-but th-

"I make the decisions. Her wedding with Ronald will still proceed"

Father gritted his teeth, his hand balled into a tight fist. He was shaking with anger, looking ready to land a punch on either the Duke or I. I was probably at the receiving end of his anger, as I couldn't help but burst into a fit of laughter.