02

August White

If nothing else over the beginning couple weeks of the semester it was good and while I had joined a writing club, I also began getting close with Eva and Novah. And it was refreshing to wake up to notifications that weren't trivial and minute.

We each sat in the living room shading in the coloring books Eva had got us, mine being spiderman. It gave us a chance to get to know each other and I found out that Novah was a finance major and was a part of the Business and Finance club and a mental health support group, she also had two older brothers. Eva was on a pre-law track and in the Multicultural Alliance club and she had an internship this semester working on pro-bono legal cases at a clinic.

But soon I had to leave and I was walking on campus to one of my evening classes when I saw Luca and Onyx sitting together on the grass and before I could walk quicker to avoid them, Onyx had spotted me. "Where ya headed, August?"

"ohh  just finding somewhere to go so i can eat my snack before class?" I emphasized the granola in my hand scratching my neck.

"Look no further, you can sit with us, right Luca?" he looked beside him where Luca paused typing on his laptop and shook his head to agree.

"I sat crisscrossed in front of them unwrapping my granola.

"So how long have you and the girls been friends?" Onyx asked, biting into a red apple.

"Umm, only since the beginning of the semester."

"The way y'all act I would have assumed longer"

"What about you guys, how long have you all been friends?" I probed.

"Well me and the guys have been friends since middle and high school."

"Oh, that's what's up. So what's your major?"

"I'm in computer science." Luca chimed in while still typing.

"Business major on a pre-law track." Onyx followed. "What about yourself?"

"Sociology major, a minor in psych." I said my eyes were wandering awkwardly.

"That's pretty cool, you join any orgs?"The questions were coming and the medication I'd taken this morning gave me room for easy conversation.

"Um yeah, I just joined this writing club so I hope it goes well. Last year I didn't join any because I was really into just studying." I smiled sheepishly, the feeling of failure running down my back because I failed to check off clubs and organizations on the freshman list.

"No worries, you're in one this year like my man Luca over here, he's in some plant loving org!"

Luca signed heavily, setting his computer down "it's not only about loving plants but the growth and study of them too. So for me, I have a bonsai and we're pretty close. Her name's Blossom and I've been taking care of her for more than a year and a half now"

"That sounds beautiful" was the only thing I could muster about it before Luca showed me pictures of Blossom with one featuring Novah petting one of its branches.

The conversation flowed and soon I learned more about the two of them and their funny stories with one being about Liuca rough housing Onyx because he threatened Blossom or Onyx crashing his first car into the mailbox back in highschool.

They were characters in their own way and their personalities were something to see with their style being the main factor. Luca dressed in earthy tones like brown and green which I gathered went hand in hand with his love for plants and Onyx who was in blue Jordan ones and a muscle shirt that didn't spare a single ab.