05

August White

"I understand how I've kept all this information from you but, can you not ignore me please?"

She looked at me across the small kitchen island but, all I could see was someone building a new family without telling me and what was the point of keeping it a secret. "What more do you want from me out of this? You want me to scream and jump for joy about a situation I was kept in the dark about."

"No August that's not it but, I want more than you leaving the house and walking back in my house like you can't speak. But forget that, I don't understand why you can't be happy for me and I get that you're young but can't you like this for me." she was frowning.

"I'm an adult. I am in college. I am not a kid that you spring a family trip on, this is you making adult decisions and not thinking twice about telling me."

"This is what I was afraid of." she folded her arms.

It was as if I was to blame for not telling me the truth and it sucked that the man stayed quiet drinking coffee at the table. I couldn't redirect the anger and it sucked that he might not have been a bad person.

"I give up. This is you and your relationship, what you both do isn't my business but, can you not think for a second how messed up this is. It's been you and me for so long and I don't even get to meet the man at dinner."

"August I'm sorry-"

"I greeted your baby daddy inside my house where he already lives, do you see the problems with that?"

***

"We could be doing anything right now and you choose the park?" Ethen and I were hanging out and I didn't realize how much I missed his presence.

"I wanted to be with you and you alone, no distractions." I looked at him in his deep brown eyes that looked dimmer since graduation.

"So I take it this is your form of apology for leaving me in the dust right." he chuckled.

"You could say that. I wanted to catch up and talk to my bestie." I playfully punched his arm as we walked the trail behind trees with a view of the pond.

"I've been trying to get out but it's hard, every time I think I'm done something comes up and I have to keep selling." He used to be my dealer years ago but after a while of hanging out and random instances we'd become friends. When I sought to get clean he had made sure nobody in the are would sell to me and while I chewed him out hard for it, I was grateful.

Ethen was smart and he was everything you could want in a guy. Kind, selfless, loving, patient, he checked every box but with the way his family depended on him it was pointless to get out the game.

"Come down with me for a couple days, you could get away from everything and we could spend more time together." I thought the idea was perfect, time I could make up from not speaking with him a lot the last couple months.

"I might, I just gotta cover a couple things. You've been staying clean, right?" He stopped prompting us to sit on a bench overlooking the area.

"I've only been smoking and drinking a little." I muttered hating the reaction I was bound to get.

"Let me guess, 'socially'." he scoffed.

"E come on you know it's not like that anymore for me." I tried to reason with him.

"You know how many times I heard that from you?" I hung my head. "Yesterday you didn't come looking for company, you came for a hit and you know it." he turned his head looking at me.