So I've Decided to make a Deal

"The Casino is actually a secret human-trafficking network." Rumors within the maids got out loud. "Can't you believe that someone within the Imperial Faction was in charge of the human trafficking?"

I, who was just lazying around my bedroom, heard all of this out of nowhere. Human Trafficking? What? I stood up in amusement, what the heck was going on?

"Yes, the Casino has all sorts of rare items, however, rumors show that they might have an auction to sell slaves."

Casino? Slaves? That sounds kinda irrelevant. But interesting too. I hadn't really thought about a world beyond this household drama.

"Wow~ slaves? From where?" A maid asked. "From those abandoned kingdoms which fell off from powers?"

"Yeah, and the Kingdom has no laws regarding those people of those nations. That's what makes them quite vulnerable to slave traders and human traffickers."

"My, my. The tickets are quite the price."

I eavesdropped on the conversation as much as I could. I put my ears into the wall and tried to listen to it properly. Wow. I really need to look into it. After all, outside politics were also crucial to my survival.

"Lady Mielle," Emma came from behind me, "I'm not sure about the hourglass, but I've talked to other maids having seen it before. I believe that she took it with her on the trip."

"Oh," I said, biting my lips. So Aria was ahead of it all, wasn't she. "Oh well. Emma, do you happen to know about the Casinos and Human Trafficking?"

"Uh, yes. But why?" Emma said.

"It would be good if a noble is well acquainted with political matters." I told her.

"Uh, yes. It is quite the rumor for commoners, but not for a lot of nobility." She tells me. That's stupid. Just because commoners find these affairs more interesting than nobility doesn't mean that the rumors are less prioritized than it.

"Oh well, whatever, just tell me." I wave her off.

"Uh... The Casino is rumored to have been selling slaves underground along with a few treasurable artifacts. The price of each is quite high, Lady Mielle. And tickets themselves are also quite high."

"Oh, treasurable artifacts, you say..." I was more interested in such artifacts. "I'm interested."

"Goodness! Why would a noble lady like Lady Mielle want to be part of the Casino?" Emma asked.

"The slaves. If I help them, won't I become painted as a kind noble lady? And if I get my hands on such artifacts, won't it make me quite the person?"

"But these are illegal!" Emma brought out.

"Is that so? Then why is it a legitimate thing?" I asked her out of confusion. "There is a legal Casino that is happening tonight."

"Well... that is because the Imperial family has done nothing about it," Emma mumbled. "Besides, Viscount Lovure's investments have seemed to be gone down as well."

"Who the hell is Viscount Louvre?" I ask.

"Oh, My lady, you forgot? He was a nobleman who came to visit Count Roscent two years ago, if you forgot. Rumors are that he is the owner of the Casino."

"So you're telling that Viscount Louvre, the owner of the Casino, will most likely shut down the Casino because he is out of money?" I told Emma bluntly.

"Oh... really?" Emma asked me this time. I sighed, so she really had no idea as well. Oh man, what a failed dream. To have artifacts that could possibly do magical things like Aria's hourglass. If I could only hold onto them...