Chapter 3

Alexander was the first one I met who was part of The Assassin Agency- where I'd be playing a significant role in in the years to come.

Finding myself waking up in the same hospital again in a spam of less than six months with my abdominal area spilt open, the kind doctor could only look down at my in pity.

'There's light at the end of the tunnel.'

Floating in darkness with hardly any sanity intact, it was easier to let the lie be repeated in my head- when I just had no hope.

But there was no light at the end of the tunnel. Not for me. Resigned, I created one myself with the help of gasoline and cigarette. Flame ate away the abusive house I couldn't stand.

My anger was misplaced, but if I stayed their longer- I would've misdirected my life path. It was better than forgetting the sole purpose of my life.

The fire that engulfed the house was soothing to look at from the distance, the panic and hysteria as the fire extinguishers could do nothing but wait outside and watch the flames burn til only a skeleton of the house remained.

It was satisfying.

The loud cries of the two abusive people, whom the forster care forced me into the care off, was relishing to say the least. Enchanting.

It sated that pyromaniac inside me, a smirk proving as an evidence.

Flame can be the light to my tunnel. There were both bright at the end of the day. What difference would that make?

Walking down the street for the umpteenth time with a rumbling tummy and a thriving soul, I brushed shoulders with Alexander in an empty alleyway.

An uneventful shoulder brush, and it would've stayed that way if it weren't for his next words that made my spine stiffen and force a halt out of me.

"I know you burnt the house down." His confidence was unparalleled as he spoke like with conviction of what happened three days ago.

My heart skipped a beat. I could've run, but my limbs willed themselves to my side- somehow aware it'd be a bad idea to run away from the stranger who had this..... pressing aura.

Dark and domineering.

Scary.

Pissing a man like him off was the last thing one would want.

A meeting that changed my life for the better. My Savior and my lifeline.

Who is the reason behind the good things that happened to me.

"Are you a.... cop?" Throwing a look over my shoulder to catch him look at me with an indescribable face- almost like.... I don't know, but there were a mix of emotions on this face. Impressed? And there was something else. Like he was.... pleased, a crooked smile on this face?

My voice shook and fell to little more than a whisper, despite my effort to maintain a straight and even tone.

"Straight to the point? I like that."

"Evading the question? I like that. So.... you're not a cop."

"You can decide that yourself after hearing my proposition for you."

That's when it all truly began. The first step in the morally and lawfully wrong yet emotionally gratifying path.

The line between wrong and right dwindled long back for me. It blurred long before I was thrown away like an used doll.

"Why me?" I asked him, couple minutes later finding myself inside the nearest Cafe with the stranger ordering food for me after the embarrassingly loud growl that came from my stomach. You can imagine how I blushed.