16: Memory Gaps

"Yes," Ryker repeated. "That's what I want."

"Uh huh," Ashton blinked quite rapidly as he nodded.

"I know I've messed up but I'm willing to make it up to you for everything that I've done," Ryker continued. "I really do want us to make amends. To be friends once again."

"Um..." Ashton kept a hand on his chest, rubbing it up and down.

"Don't you remember how much fun it was?" Ryker recalled with a soft smile as he stared ahead at the road. "The best time of my childhood was with you. And it didn't even matter what we were doing as long as we were together. We could just be laying around watching TV or staring at the goddamn wall but your company was what made it all special."

"Uh, Ryker-"

"You were the only one at all of my plays and my football matches. You were always fucking there for me, Ash. Even my family missed out at times but not you. Never you. No matter how busy you were, you still showed up. And I never told you how much I-" Ryker glanced at Ashton, only to finally notice how pale the other actor had gotten. "Hey, you okay?"

"Stop the car," Ashton said.

"Wha-"

"Stop the car right now, Ryker," Ashton repeated, seeming panicked.

Ryker frowned, but nodded nonetheless as he stopped the car at the side of the road. Ashton opened the door as fast as he could and rushed out. Ryker followed behind him, looking concerned. Before he could ask Ashton what was going on, the brunette bent down and puked his guts out.

Ryker hurried to Ashton's side, keeping a hand on his back as he rubbed it up and down soothingly. Ashton rested his palms on his knees as he emptied out his stomach. They stayed like that for a few minutes, until Ashton stood up straight with a groan.

Ryker jogged to his car, bringing out a bottle of water before handing it to the other man. Ashton accepted it without a complaint as he washed up, cringing at the taste and feeling in his mouth.

"I don't think the food agreed with me," Ashton muttered.

"Or the alcohol," Ryker retorted, making Ashton narrow his eyes at him.

"I can hold my alcohol. It had to be the food," Ashton defended, Ryker simply sighed in response.

There was no winning with Ashton, ever. He was the most stubborn person that Ryker had ever known, so there was no point in even attempting to argue.

"Sure. Of course," Ryker said. "I'll call Tabitha to let her know that we won't be able to make it."

"Why not? I can still-

Ashton retched once again before he could even finish his sentence. He coughed, snatching the water from Ryker's hand as he repeated his earlier actions.

"Yeah? You were saying? You can still party?" Ryker folded his arms in front of his chest as he stared at Ashton with a raised eyebrow. Ashton scowled, giving him a firm glare before looking away.

"Whatever. I'll catch a cab home. You can go out with them," Ashton mumbled. "No need to ruin your night because of me."

"Seriously? You expect me to do what? Leave you at the side of the road when you're sick to find your own way home?" Ryker asked.

"Why not?" Ashton shrugged.

"What kind of a person do you think I am?"

"A shitty one."

"Did you not hear anything that I said to you? Like literally just ten minutes ago?" Ryker blinked.

"Oh my apologies, the nausea kind of made me zone out when you were busy monologuing," Ashton replied.