38: Pawns

"—you told me that he already knew," Ryker paused. "I came over to tell Ash that I was offered the role he wanted. That I already told them no because there was no way in hell I would ever do that to them. But you...you said he knew and that he wanted me to accept it. You lied to my face!"

"Just let it go, that was a long time ago, Ryker," Rebecca stated with an annoyed sigh.

"That's irrelevant! Ash hates me even now and it's all because of you! Why would you do that?" Ryker exclaimed, running his fingers through his hair in disbelief. "Ruin the only friendship your son had. Why?"

"He was starting to stray. He needed a push to work harder and that's exactly what I did," Rebecca Archer said. "Until you ruined it by faking an injury and letting the role land right in his lap."

"I didn't fake an injury," Ryker muttered, looking away.

"What's the point of lying now? Especially to me?" Rebecca shot back. "I know you faked it."

"Whatever, that doesn't fucking matter," Ryker brought up the main topic again, not letting Rebecca change it. "What matters is why? What was the point of all this?"

"Don't you see I made both of your careers? You both were constantly the topic of all the gossip because of your rivalry! I kept you on the news. And then you messed it all up by going on a break and Ashton sabotaged his career by his absolutely terrible choice in movies," Rebecca explained. "That boy never really had an eye for good things."

"Seriously?" Ryker could not believe what he was hearing, and neither could Ashton. "I lost the person who mattered the most to me because you wanted to play games?"

"This is real life. Not games, Ryker. This is how the industry works," Rebecca said. "But it seems like you're just as ungrateful as my son for everything that I've done for both of you."

"What should we be grateful for? Your blatant manipulation?" Ryker retorted.

"You kids these days are way too sensitive," Rebecca mumbled. "You don't understand how the world works, which was exactly why I had to step in."

"I completely understand why Ash doesn't want to see you or talk to you. You might've won several best actress awards but you're never winning mother of the year," Ryker said as he let out a bitter chuckle.

"Oh god, you're too dramatic even for my taste. Do you not realize how much I have done for you both? The whole rival arc is such fabulous promotion! You two used to be everywhere. Fan wars to fan fictions...this is what made you. I made you."

"I'm going to tell Ash everything," Ryker stated.

"And you think he's going to believe you? Sure, he must hate me but he doesn't have any love for you either," Rebecca challenged. "If anything he's going to think you're lying and will despise you even more."

"I can still try..." Ryker's voice was hesitant. Rebecca was cunning. She knew exactly what to say. She knew how to make Ryker hurt. Insecure, even.

Sometimes Ashton wondered if she was the devil incarnate.

"Just give it up, Ryker. Ash is not worth it. Use the relationship you have with him for your own gain. Go have an argument with him in public, shove each other around a bit. Watch how that boosts up your movie promotion! You'll have lines outside threatres."

"You're sick," Ryker spat.

"I'm smart," Rebecca snapped back, before continuing in a softer tone. "Despite what you might think, I only want the best for you both. You're like my son too, Ryker."

"I'm not falling for your crap again. I know the kind of per—"

That was all Ashton could bear to listen before he turned around and walked away.