Chapter 9: After School

(A/N: I’d like to start this chapter off by apologizing for how long it took me to write this. I have hundreds of excuses running through my head, but I’m just going to be honest with you guys and say that I was just being lazy. I’m on summer break so I hope to update the story more often and not take 3 months just to upload a new chapter. With all that being said, please enjoy the chapter.) 

(also rq I’d like to warn you guys there is a mention of sex in this chapter. THERE IS NO ACTUAL SMUT I PROMISE! THE WORD IS JUST SAID A BUNCH. Anyways continue reading) 

Soon after their conversation, Shuichi and Kokichi had arrived at the nurse’s office. The nurse saw the two, and quickly had them both sit down. The nurse, Ms. Tsumiki (which she was just barely able to read off her name tag) had decided to examine both injuries, then decided to take care of Shuichi first, seeing he had more injuries. Ms. Tsumiki was a bit on the older side, her hair gray with a few strands of purple, leaving a reminder of the color that was lost in time. Her face was wrinkly, but kind and welcoming, her eyes a grayish-purple. Her hands were wrinkly as well, but gentle and soft to the touch. 

She quickly tended to Shuichi injuries, making comments like “A-another fight Mr. Saihara?”. She then went to tend to Kokichi’s black eye. Shuichi looked over, feeling guilty that Kokichi had gotten hurt because of him. “I’m still technically his boyfriend, so I should probably make it up to him somehow.” he thought. 

Shuichi watched as Ms. Tsumiki walked away for a quick moment, coming back a few seconds later with a couple ice packs and two water bottles. She handed one ice pack and one water to Shuichi, then gave the other ice pack and other water to Kokichi. “Feel f-free to leave whenever y-you two are ready. I-I will remind you two that cl-class starts in a f-few minutes.” She said as she walked back over to her desk. “Alright, thank you Ms Tsumiki.” Kokichi  replied, putting the ice pack on his eye. Shuichi held his to his nose. They both expected Rantaro to walk in at any minute, but he never did show. 

Not long after the bell rang, Shuichi and Kokichi thanked Ms Tsumiki for caring for their wounds, then headed off to class. Kokichi always made sure to be slightly ahead of Shuichi, just so Shuichi wouldn’t get lost wandering around the school. If Kokichi was in front of him, Shuichi could simply just follow him around, they  both had the same classes anyway. They soon arrived at their next class, and sat down in the empty seats. 

~~~~

The rest of the day went about the same. Kokichi would take Shuichi from classroom to classroom, both of them dying from boredom. Especially Shuichi, he wasn’t used to being in school. But he would definitely rather be at high school than be in that god-awful killing game. After what felt like a century of waiting, the bell rang, allowing them to be set free. 

The two of them walked out the front door, walking home together. It was still weird for Shuichi, having to act like Kokichi’s boyfriend. It was strange but it also felt strangely nice. It left a warm feeling in Shuichi’s chest. The two of them must not live far away from each other because they had been walking the same path for a while, Shuichi listening quietly as Kokichi went on a rant about school. 

“Hey, do you want to come over to my house? We could do homework together or something.” Shuichi asked whilst his cheeks grew warm and were turning slightly pink. “Sure! I didn’t think you’d want me over since you aren’t really my boyfriend anymore.” Kokichi said, a smile creeping onto his face. Shuichi found that smile quite cute. He felt that way about the Kokichi he knew as well. Not Kokichi’s evil smirk—he found that one disturbing—but Kokichi’s soft, genuine smile. You never saw it much, but whenever it did show up, Shuichi would find himself staring at it with loving eyes. It reminded him whenever he saw it that Kokichi wasn’t completely evil, even though he definitely wanted everyone to think that.