3

Colby pov

I arrived at Jake's air bnb he was staying at. Parking my car in his driveway. I grabbed my phone and my keys. I saw Jake walk outside.

"Hey man," he said.

"Hey," I replied. We gave each other a quick hug. I walked towards the trunk of my car. And popped it.

"How are you doing?" He asked me

I grabbed one of the boxes, and he grabbed the other. "Uh, well-," I let out a chuckle. "It's definitely been a hell of a day."

"Have you slept?"

I closed the trunk, and we began walking inside. "A little. I need more, though."

"Feel free to take a nap, man." He said.

"Yeah, I will," I said. We walked inside the house and brought the boxes I had to an unoccupied room in the house. "But I have to look through these first." I put my hand on the box.

"What's even in these?" He asked. He opened one slightly.

"I found them in the basement underneath my apartment building." I said.

"What."

"Well- They were Sam's. Somehow, I was reminded of this basement he found under the building. I didn't think he actually stored anything down there, but I guess he did."

He shrugged. I took out the tapes from my box. "Dude, is that a VHS tape?"

"Yeah, for some reason, Sam had a ton of them."

"Why would Sam have these?" He asked

"I don't know."

He opened his box. "Why does Sam just have a bunch of written papers?" Be asked.

"I don't know." I said, a little distracted by laying the tapes on the bed. None of them had names written on them. Odd. "But do you know where I could get something to play these?" I asked, looking at him.

"I don't know. Maybe look online or something. I've never needed to even like know about these before."

I nodded. I'm still putting out more and more tapes.

"Did you bring anything other than these boxes?"

The realization clicked in. I'm still wearing some random comfortable clothes and I didn't bring them anymore. God, what am I doing. Why do I feel so inclined to watch these? Why don't I just talk to Sam. Or sit at Jake's and relax. I can't be doing this.

"Shit- I didn't." I took a deep breath.

"Look, man, I think you need to calm down and relax for a bit." He moved over to me and sat me down on the bed. "You seem restless. I know this is a crazy thing that is happening, but you need sleep."

I nodded. He was right. I just needed to relax for a bit. "Do you think you could look for something to play these tapes?" I asked.

"Uh- I guess I can." He said. He stood up and started putting everything back in the boxes. I did also. Then he put the boxes on the ground. "Here, I'm going to go and look for whatever I can so you can watch the tapes. And you need to take a nap." I nodded. He left the room and shut the door.

He was right. I needed a nap. And I think that's what I was gonna do. I trusted Jake. He would try to find something to play these tapes at least. I got up and turned off the light. Then I took in my surroundings. The floor was carpet and there was a nice bed. A small table. This room must just be a guest room in their home. I don't know who else it would be. I laid down on the bed. It seemed a lot more comfortable than my normal bed in my apartment.