Chapter 14

As I walked out of the underground fight club, the weight of the bag full of cash slung over my shoulder reminded me of the victories I had achieved that night. But as proud as I was, a sense of sadness washed over me. My boys, Liam, Ethan, and Killan, weren't there to celebrate with me or worry about my well-being. It was just me, navigating this world on my own.

I trudged along the dimly lit street, my mind lost in thoughts of what could have been. Suddenly, a car screeched to a halt in front of me, and the window rolled down. It was Killan, my friend, and occasional source of both comfort and frustration. He rolled his eyes and motioned for me to get in. I climbed into the car, and we began our silent journey towards the boys' house.

Awkwardness hung in the air, heavy and suffocating. I wanted to say something, to express my gratitude for Killan's unexpected presence, but before I could speak, a car appeared out of nowhere, forcing Killan to slam on the brakes. Instinctively, his hand reached out to my stomach, pulling me back and ensuring my safety. A blush crept onto my cheeks, but it quickly dissipated as Killan apologized for the sudden stop.

We finally came to a halt in front of the house. It was then that I gathered my courage to speak. "Killan, you know-" I began, but he cut me off abruptly, his voice tinged with weariness. "I know where this conversation leads, Harvey. I've had a long day, and I don't want to hear it. So let's just say it's whatever, okay? We're friends, at the end of the day." His words stung, but I nodded, unable to find the right words to counter his dismissal.

Killan motioned for me to take a seat on the kitchen island, and I obliged, my mind still reeling from his unexpected reaction. He looked at me intently, his gaze filled with a mixture of anticipation and melancholy. "You know, I'll be turning twenty in a couple of weeks," he said, his voice laden with a weight I couldn't quite comprehend.

My body tensed, and I nodded, understanding the significance of his upcoming birthday. "I have to be in Russia for the weeks leading up to my coronation," he continued, a hint of sadness in his voice. "The Mafia has run wild, and they need someone there to take back control."

I couldn't help but ask the question that hung heavily between us. "When will you be leaving?" I whispered, my voice barely audible. Killan's reply was filled with resignation. "Soon enough," he said, his eyes meeting mine, as if searching for a flicker of understanding.

Silence enveloped us, each of us lost in our own thoughts. The weight of the impending separation settled upon my shoulders, and I couldn't shake off the growing sense of unease. But for now, in this moment, we remained together, connected by a bond that transcended friendship.

And so, we sat in that kitchen, sharing a silence that spoke volumes. The passage of time seemed to slow as we grappled with the uncertain future that awaited us both. But until that day came, I would treasure every moment I had with Killan, my confidant and the person who unknowingly held a piece of my heart.

I blinked my eyes open, feeling disoriented as I realized I was in my own bed. How did I end up here? Gratefulness washed over me as I silently thanked Killan for his unexpected act of kindness. Rubbing the remnants of sleep from my eyes, I tried to piece together the fragments of a dream that clung to my thoughts.

I was fourteen, surrounded by Liam, Ethan, Killan, and a fourth person with vibrant pink hair. Laughter filled the air as we moved around the bustling kitchen, preparing breakfast together. I found myself singing along to a catchy tune, my joy seeping into every word. Amidst the cheerful chaos, the person with pink hair approached me, standing between my legs and planting a soft kiss on my lips. Whispers escaped my lips, "Good morning, Damien," brimming with affection.

Damien's smile mirrored my own as he replied, "Good morning, love. How are you on this fine morn, m'lady?" His playful tone coaxed a giggle out of me, and I couldn't resist playfully bowing before him, reveling in our lighthearted banter. Another sweet kiss sealed our affectionate moment, momentarily transporting us to our own blissful world.