Chapter 9

So you think I am arrogant?

No, that is stupid. I can't start my first dm to Parker like that.

Enjoy the game? Winking emoji?

Ew no, that is even worse. Fucking shit, I need to get it together.

Should I even be dming him? Should I at least wait until we strike tonight before I do? It would probably be more impactful if we got them back for the car prank and then I just sent him a really cryptic dm.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Something a little mysterious that will assure he answers.

Though I also thought my instagram story would have gotten a response but instead he just posted the second half of the quote on his story. I mean it was something but definitely not my desired response.

I am confused because I really could have sworn the wink with the quote would have had him in my dms giving me a piece of his mind. I mean he had no issue flipping me off during the game when I turned around to grab my water from the top of the net.

Coming back after a loss I had a lot to prove last night, but with him there I definitely was showing off a bit. Making sure the arena was cheering loudly for me, and secretly hoping he would join in.

I wonder if he is coming tonight? I am not sure I can put on such a crazy show twice in one weekend. It was the most intense goaltending I have done this entire season and frankly I could use some r&r tonight.

Maybe I can suggest Coach play our second goalie Don. Or maybe not, because then he will ask why and then I will need to make up a story he probably won't believe and then he will think I am hurt and make me spend time with the trainers when I could be home gaming.

I sigh outloud and open instagram again to continue contemplating my first written words to this boy I am so embarrassingly hung up on.

I am just about to hit send a few minutes later on the most perfect dm that I think contains just the perfect level of snark, until my bedroom door flies open.

"Why do you look so focused? Is this about your stupid war thing?"

"Stupid war thing," I mumble, still a little annoyed at Ryder for his blatant treason. Not only did he hang the whole team out to dry with the car prank but Friday he left early and alone knowing what all the cars looked like and that we would practically be late to the game. "You're a traitor to your country Carson."

"Fucking hell are you dramatic," he laughs while sitting in my gaming chair.

"Why are you so functional this morning? This is unlike you. I am terrified," I state while sitting on my bed and assessing Ryder closer.

He is fully dressed in his suit already and was awake probably the earliest I have ever seen him wake up on a game day ever in his entire life. Ryder is a sleep in guy and on game days if we have to leave the house at 3pm he is rising from the dead at 1pm, still grouchy.