9

Amena had no idea what to expect when they told her they were going on a boat. She had no idea that they made boats so nice. She was expecting something more like a canoe, but Xavier's had a plush couch that wrapped around the back like a sectional. There was a small seat set up for him to drive, and there was a small canopy so part of it remained shaded.

Cyfrin had made sure she was covered in sunscreen before anything else

The boys were absolutely enraptured with all of the boat mechanics and ins and outs. It went way over her head.

"I have heard way too much about this boat lately," Emma sighed from next to her, but she still gave Amena a bright smile. "Xavier completely restored it. It's all he's been talking about."

Amena felt unsure of how to respond. Cyfrin looked over at her briefly, and she remembered that she was going to try to get to know Emma. She sucked in a deep breath of air.

"Thank you for helping with-with getting me the clothes," Amena said.

"You're welcome!" Emma said. "I was happy to do it. If you need help exchanging anything out, just let me know. We can even go shopping together one time. I'd be happy to help you."

Amena eased, finding conversation to be a bit easier with her positivity.

Cyfrin came and sat next to her, and Xavier sped up the boat as they moved away from the dock.

It was nice to be out. The sun was pretty hot.

Xavier slowed the boat back down. "How about I drop the anchor here and we take a swim?"

"That sounds great. I am sweating," James said, already pulling his shirt off.

Xavier and Emma went first, followed by James. Cyfrin jumped in next, but stayed close to the boat and Amena.

"I can't swim," Amena said, dropping down so her feet dangled in the water.

"There's an innertube right there if you want it. I wouldn't let anything happen to you," Cyfrin said.

Amena couldn't concentrate with him looking so tantalizing in the water. His shirt was off, leaving his tattoos on display. She had never seen the beautiful ink that ran along his chest before.

There was another problem though. She was still in her t-shirt and shorts.

Cyfrin moved closer, stepping on the ladder so he didn't have to tread. His wet hands moved gently along her legs.

"Amena, baby," he said, speaking so softly that she was certain that she was going to melt in the hot sun. "You're so beautiful, you know that? But if you want to swim in your clothes, that's more than okay. If you don't want to swim, I'll come sit in the boat with you. I brought you a book."

Amena glanced over at Xavier and Emma and James who were splashing around. Emma seemed to be able to stand up closer to the embankment.

She didn't want Cyfrin to miss out on the fun because of her.

She stood up to kick down her shorts and pull of her shirt. She'd be okay in the cover of the water. She trusted Cyfrin.

She jumped in the water with the inner tube, splashing Cyfrin with a short laugh. He splashed her back.

The water felt cool against her heated skin. She mostly floated in the tube, but she ended up having a lot of fun. She was glad she went.

She didn't know what was happening with her feelings for Cyfrin. Only recently had things shifted for her. He took such good care of her. It felt like he completely understood her, better than she understood herself. And now, the pet name and the little touches. Had something for him changed too?

They climbed back on the boat after swimming for nearly an hour. Amena dried off, putting her clothes back on.

"Hungry?" Cyfrin asked her.

She nodded. She was quite hungry.

"I brought stuff for sandwiches. Ham or turkey?"

"Turkey," she said. "Will you make it for me?"

"Absolutely," he said, taking a seat next to her. She watched as he made her hefty sandwich.

She ended up eating all of it.

The ride back to the dock was pretty quiet. Cyfrin had moved back up to the front with Janes and Xavier, and Emma had taken a seat next to her.

"Cyfrin adores you," Emma said quietly. "The way he looks at you is adorable."

Amena felt the heat run up her neck. "He takes good care of me."

Emma smiled. "Today was fun. We should get together again. We could go for lunch or shopping or something."

"I'd like that," Amena said genuinely. She meant it. She liked Emma.

----

The car ride back home was quiet. Amena was pretty worn out.

"What's on your mind?" Cyfrin asked.

She turned away from the window to look at him. "How does Emma know that Xavier is her boyfriend?"

"Usually, when you date someone you both decide what label you want to give it. Other than that, they like to spend time together. They're both affectionate. Things like that."

Amena nodded. That made sense. Cyfrin's description made it seem like what they had was just skirting the line on dating. She wondered how he felt about it.

She shook the silly thought away. Why would Cyfrin ever see her that way?

Cyfrin picked up her hand. He ran his thumb gently along on the back of it.

"Today was fun," he said. "I'm glad you decided to go. I enjoy spending time with you."