19

Amena glanced over from her book as Cyfrin stirred next to her.

He sat up, clutching his forehead with an irritated sigh.

Amena bit back her smile.

"I thought you weren't drunk," she teased.

He waved her off. "It's just a headache."

"There's water and painkillers next to you," she told him.

"Thank you, baby," he said, leaning over to reach his nightstand.

After he took a drink, he laid back down, putting his head in her lap.

She ran her hands through his hair, bending down to kiss his temple.

"I bet you're hungry," he said after a content moment. His eyes had shut, and she could tell he was totally relaxed.

"I'm okay," she whispered. "The others are still sleeping."

"I know," Cyfrin agreed. "These walls are paper thin. We can hear everything, including James' snoring next door."

It was quiet for a moment. Amena turned back to her book.

"I love you," he said softly.

She felt herself freeze as the words left his mouth. No one had ever told her that before
Her heart began to pound in her chest.

Cyfrin sat up, turning to face her. "I was going to tell you last night, but I didn't want you to think the alcohol had an influence. I've loved you for a long time, Amena."

Amena clenched her fists together to stop the rise of emotions.

He took her hands, releasing her grasp and tangling their fingers together.

He reached up the brush the hair out of her face, catching a stray tear that escaped.

"I wanted to be the first one to say it," she mumbled, unable to control the happy smile. She still sniffled.

He chuckled, deep and warm. "Okay. Pretend I didn't say anything yet."

She nodded. "I love you."

"I love you, too," he said, bending his head to give her a kiss.

She settled against him, wrapping her arms around his back, feeling the happiest she had ever been. She couldn't believe how much her life had changed over the last several months. She couldn't believe how beautiful life was, especially with Cyfrin by her side.

She still had a lot of work to do in terms of healing her past life, but she was getting there. She had good friends now, and even her own little business.

Cyfrin kissed her forehead.

"How about some pancakes, baby?" he asked. "I brought chocolate chips."

He squeezed her a little and she gave a small laugh.

It wasn't long before they had breakfast in full swing and the others were shuffling out of their rooms.

"I will never let you live down the fact that you don't know what an octopus is," James said, clearing the table from the previous night's mess so it could be used for breakfast.

"I know what an octopus is, dude," Xavier huffed.

Cyfrin brought over the food, and everyone gathered around.

"Do you all want to hike out to that lookout point after this, before it gets too hot?" Emma asked.

"I think that will be great," James agreed.

Cyfrin nodded. "We'll have to drive through town to get to the trailhead. We can pick up pizza or get some charcoal to grill chicken for dinner."

"And ice-cream," Xavier added, stretching his arm across the back of Emma's chair. "The local place has soft-serve with flavor swirls you can add in it."

Amena picked at her plate. Cyfrin had made really good pancakes and bacon, but she still found it difficult to eat with so much going on.

"I still need to take a shower," Emma said. "Thanks for breakfast, Cyfrin."

"You're welcome," he said back.

Everyone scattered to go get ready for the day, leaving just Amena and Cyfrin at the table.

"Not hungry today?" he asked softly.

She shook her head, reaching for him. He wrapped his arm around her chair, pulling her closer to his side.

"You need to eat a little something if you want to hike," he whispered. "I have some fruit and some granola bars if you want to try again later."

She got up from her chair to get in his lap.

"I don't know what it is about eating with people who aren't you," she admitted.

He kissed her cheek. "You're just more comfortable with me, and that's okay."

"Will you feed me?" she asked after a moment.

"Oh," he whispered, his lips turning up. He gave her a squeeze, pecking her other cheek and her nose. "Is that what the problem is? You're just my little baby."

Amena giggled happily.

She managed to eat a couple of bites this way, feeling much better.

"I'm ready to go. I will clean up here," Xavier said, pulling a baseball cap over his head.

"Thanks, man," Cyfrin said, helping Amena up.