20

"You're learning how to drive?" Emma asked curiously, eating a spoonful of ice-cream.

Amena nodded. "Cyfrin's teaching me."

"That's so cool," Emma said genuinely. "You should drive us back to the cabin."

"No way," Amena said, giggling. "He got me the book to study for the permit test."

Cyfrin, James and Xavier had walked down the street to check out a fishing store. Amena and Emma were still finishing up their ice-cream, sitting on a bench outside of the shop.

"I wonder if they will decided to go fishing," Emma said after a moment.

Amena added quietly, "Cyfrin spends a lot of time with me. I think it would be good."

"I feel the same way," Emma agreed. "I feel bad for James, having to be the third wheel."

"Third wheel?" Amena asked, taking the last spoonful of ice-cream. It was really good. She hadn't had soft serve before, and it was fun to watch it come twisting out of the machine.

Emma smiled. "It's a person who usually gets stuck hanging around a couple. I guess he's like a fifth wheel since we have two couples."

"Oh," Amena whispered. "Do you think it bothers him?"

"Not that he's shown," Emma said back. "I'm sure it has to a little bit though, especially since that means the three of them don't get to spend as much time together anymore."

That made sense to Amena. She had always been alone. She had never realized the importance of friendship before, not until Cyfrin had introduced her to his friends. He needed to hang out with James and Xavier, without her. They had been friends for a really long time, and she would never want to come between that.

"Maybe when we go back home you and I can start doing something," Amena said. "Cyfrin feels okay leaving me behind if I have plans."

"Smart," Emma agreed. "I think Xav is the same way. It gives them an excuse to be together. We can make a tradition every week or something."

They threw away their trash, walking down the street to a little gift and clothing boutique.

Amena picked up a nice baseball cap for Cyfrin, and a book on some local folklore for herself.

"Can you hang onto this?" Amena asked Emma, handing her the bag with his hat. She knew Cyfrin would want to see what she bought, but she wanted to surprise him with his hat after the trip.

"Sure thing," Emma said. "Let's go see what they are up to."

The three guys were easy to spot. They were up near the counter, talking to the old man who had clearly convinced them to buy a lot of stuff. They were wearing interesting overall looking things with attached boots.

"What in the world?" Emma asked.

Xavier grinned, twirling in a circle. "Do you like my waders, honey?"

Cyfrin gestured Amena over. "What did you get?"

She handed him the bag, and he pulled out the book.

"It's stories about monsters and things in the area. Isn't that cool?" she asked.

"So cool," he agreed, leaning down for a kiss. "Are you okay if James and Xav and I go fishing for the rest of the day?"

Amena nodded eagerly.

"You sure?" he asked, lifting her chin up.

"Positive," she confirmed, leaning up on her toes to peck his lips.

---
Later, at the cabin, Amena was sitting patiently on the bed upstairs as Cyfrin gathered a few things to take with him when he went.

"Take a sandwich so you don't get too hungry," she said.

Cyfrin agreed, stepping out of the bathroom with those silly waders on. She muffled her laugh.

"Don't laugh at me," he said, trying to mask his own amusement.

"I think you can fish on the side of the lake. You don't have to get in the water," she whispered.

"Yes, but these were on sale and they have lots of pockets," Cyfrin said, coming over to give her a kiss. "Call me if you need me, okay? If you and Emma want to go somewhere, you can take one of the other cars."

She reached up for him, cupping his cheeks so he didn't move back too soon. She loved when he kissed her.

His lips quirked up and he finally pulled back with one final peck.

"Love you," he said.

"Love you back," she smiled, absolutely giddy from the words. "Have fun."