32|Acceptance

Eve's POV

"Thanks for the ride guys," I said as I hopped out of Chase's car.

"Wait!" Belly said as she also hopped out. "Are you mad at me?"

"Why would I be?"

She started playing with her hands. "I don't know. From ever since I messed up at the meeting, you have been seeming a little cold."

"I'm not mad at you, Belly. You're standing up for yourself and nothing is wrong with that. I'm glad you showed them that you're not to be stepped on anymore."

She frowned before hugging me. "Aww thank you Evie. You always know what to say."

She let go of me and looked me in the face. "So why have you been cold then?"

"I guess I'm jealous."

"Of who? Me?"

I nodded. "I wish I could speak up but I can't."

"Really? You don't like your role? You should have said something earlier. Your best friend Belly is president now so we can change it to anything you want."

I wasn't talking about student council.

"Thank you." I pointed to the car. "You should get going. The others are waiting."

She hugged me once more. "Thank you for always supporting me even when it hurts you."

She ran back into the car and they drove off.

"I'm home!" I shouted as I forced my weary self up the stairs.

For the past week, I kept going and going to distract myself. I even had a photoshoot for the kid next door's birthday. The mom paid two hundred bucks, but I didn't care. It was a distraction nonetheless.

I missed him.

I missed him so much to the point where it hurt but I couldn't face him. Not after that stunt he pulled. He reminded me of who he really was.

I stared at his texts as I spread myself across my bed. I even started looking at our old messages. It was silly of me to do so but who cares.

Him: Come over.

Her: No.

Him: Please.

Her: Why?

Him: If not, the next time I see you, I'll murder you with kisses.

Her: Deal.

I shook my head at our old messages and put down my phone.

I picked up my laptop and started editing the pictures I took from the photoshoot. It was for his fourth birthday, so I had to make it special.

I heard a wrap on my door before Tom pushed his head in.

"Your friend is downstairs."

I sighed. "Who Chase? Did I forget something in his car?"

"I haven't seen this one before but he is hot."

"Ew, Chase and hot do not belong in the same sentence," I said as I struggled to stand on me feet.

He laughed. "Just go to your friend before he gets restless."

I sighed before making my way downstairs.

I halted when I saw Haze standing in my living room with a baby picture of me.

He smiled. "Cute picture."

I quickly grabbed it out of my hand. "What-what are you doing here and how do you know where I live?"

"You weren't answering my messages, so I came to you."

I scoffed. The audacity this guy has is crazy. "When someone doesn't answer your messages, it means that they don't want to talk to you."

"No one has ever done that to me before."

"Well, I'm glad that I'm your first."

He sighed before closing the space between us. "I'm sorry, Eve."

"Apology accepted now get out," I said before walking to open the door.

"My dad came back."

I stopped before slowly turning around.

"He slapped me right across my face like he always does. It had been a while since he was home so I kind of forgot about that. I let my guard down and I got hurt. This shouldn't be an excuse for how poorly I handled but I am sorry. I really am and I want to talk. I'll answer any questions you have for me but please don't give up on me. You're the only thing that's pushing me to keep going."

"Haze, I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

"Of course, you didn't. Only Elle knows about this. I can't even bring myself to tell my friends but for some reason I felt the need to tell you that."

I walked back over to him.

"When I was born, Elle was eight. He made a eight-year-old raise me because he couldn't stand the fact that my mom died while having me. Elle never once complained, and she took care of me for the past eighteen years." He shook his head. "I hate my father so much Eve."

Hearing him talk with such pain sent goosebumps on my skin and I didn't even know what to say that will ever take away such pain.

I did what I knew best, I hugged him.

"Over the past few months that we spent together, we grew closer. I confided in you a lot more than I did with my friends and I know you did too. We looked at each other for comfort. Hate me all you want Eve but please don't give up on me. It will end me."

I hugged him tighter as tears fell out my eyes. "I won't."

He pulled back and what I saw next sent chills down my spine.

For the first time in my life, I saw tears in Haze's eyes. I forgot he was human just like me and not some cold robot.

"I'll make up for all the shit I did, I swear. Just please don't be over me."

"Please don't cry, Haze," I begged.

Being over him was the last thing I wanted to do. I wiped both of our eyes.

"Enough of this depressing environment," I said as I started pulling him upstairs. "I just remembered you haven't seen my room."

I opened my bedroom door and he smiled.

"What?" I asked.

He shook his head. "This is exactly how I imagined your room would look like. It's exactly like you, books and candles everywhere."

"Do you like it?" I asked.

I nodded his head. "Hell yeah!"

I smiled before kissing him.

"Do you want to-"

"Hell yeah!" he said before kissing me again.

...

We spooned under my sheet as we laid in a peaceful silence. He intertwined his fingers with mine and kissed them.

"I missed you," he said.

I turned around to face him. "I missed you, too."

He pulled me closer into his chest. "I wish we could stay like this forever."

Me too.

I closed my eyes and allowed his warmth to radiate on to my shivering skin. Being between his eyes felt like it was home and I belonged here. I missed my home.

I know it was only for a week, but it felt like we didn't talk for months. Things didn't feel right in those days we were apart but right now felt like the rightest way I've ever felt.

"Hey Eve?"

"Hmmm?"

"I think I have feelings for you."

"I know."

"This isn't going to end well."

"I know."

I snuggled closer to him until I drifted off to sleep.