The Source

Where we find out about the mysterious dragonkin and his machinations, as well as our hero's resolution to said plans!

Strewn about the room Gydo had parts of metal and wood. Usually, he'd have these in order. Especially back when the operation was smaller, and he had more free time to create spares while his soulbound doll was out thieving.

Then, one day, came Lavis, and that man thrust him with that great power, that great piece of meat.

To many others, it was known as the grand baetylus, but to Gydo, it was the most magnificent piece of meat he ever knew.

Once Lavis came, I thought I could get rich! No longer would I have to live in fear of getting hunted for my flesh and bones. I thought I could mine the area for more valuable pieces of meat, sinew and bone to add to my collection and give to Lavis those I had no use for.

I could steal more from the streets of Break City, my once lesser power to bind my soul to only a single doll was to be a thing of the past!

All by using that glowing, purple piece of meat, shining in that machine Lavis gave me, used to contain and funnel its power correctly. I knew Lavis' words about the machine were at least partially true because such a raw piece of meat would burn anyone who handled it directly to their very core.

Of course, there was also the trap placed inside of it, the runes on it unknown to me. Although I was never much of a mage, I knew my elder's tongue to some extent, but it seemed that Lavis knew it better, somehow.

For all the complexity and obscureness, it could be a spell to shine a light on me once I try to snatch the meat, for all I knew, but somehow I got the impression from Lavis that something terrible would happen, instead. Terrible how? It's hard for me to imagine.

But there's no time to think it over, now! Not only are those two thieves coming here, they somehow know mine- or maybe the meat's location! Was it the halfling? Is it a mage that is after me? The meat? Did Lavis lie to me that only the machine can detect this grand meat in and around the city? No matter, they'll find me soon anyway, and the worker bugs I bound didn't do anything other than get slaughtered.

Perhaps I should take the meat and run? Lavis underestimates me, I may not be a full dragon but I can handle the backlash, his trap and get out of here before those idi-

Craaashhhh

The door to the large storage room exploded into shards of moist wood covering the entry to the room now, revealing to the dragonkin's dark-piercing vision that the two he so dreaded had arrived.

Fine, they want a battle?

Gydo rose from the table, and the five soulbound dolls he managed to somewhat construct stood up. With his back to the machine, the rays of power from the meat spun and wrapped around him as the orc already crushed one of his not yet bound dolls- and only then did the other four dolls leap forward to attack. Gydo was seeing through each of their eyes, and being able to react to them all in accordance was nothing more than a miracle perpetuated within him by that grand meat- he felt like a god! Look at me flanking, cutting, stabbing at the orc, as that foolish greenskin tries to strike merely one of me! I already remember his rough and easy-to-read movement, and all I have to do is be wary of the halfling's slin- UurhhhhgGghh! -ssGrrkk

A sling stone crushed into his forehead with ferocious velocity, causing him to reel back. If his flesh were as thin as that of a human, that would have cracked his skull. Fortunately for him, dragonkin were made of tougher stuff.