106. The engagement

Aditi's point of view

I frown when I looked at my essay answers sheet which Dhruv has checked last night. I could only see red remarks in every essay I have written.

"Dhruv aap intni hard marking kyon kerte hai ki hum apna confidence hi loose ker dete hai. Aise to hum apna mains bhi nahi de payenge.", I said looking at who was driving the car with a soft chuckles. It's Sunday and we both are going to my in-laws house for a lunch. Last night after I slept I don't know when Dhruv has checked my eassy answer sheets which were pending from last week and I got disappointed seeing such low marks.

(Dhruv whu do you keep such hard marking? I don't think I could give my mains exam.)

"You are doing great just you always missed some important points and I need to do hard marking so you could write better.", He said while chuckling softly and shake his head in amusement.

"and how could you be so sure?", I asked turning to him.

"Because I have checked your essays from the start so I know you you are doing great and till the mains come you will be perfect.", He said while taking the left turn.

I sumg on his comment and said, "You are talking about mains? I am not even sure about my prelims.",

"Stop doubting yourself and could you please put those sheet away? You are only looking at them since you set inside the car.", I was about to oppose when he snatched those answer sheets from my hand and put them on the back seat while fixing his eyes on the road.

We have reached to my in-laws house. Dhruv parked the car outside the house and I started having memories of last time when I was thrown in the rain in-front of servents. How I was humiliated and hurt my self respect.

My heart was beating faster and with heavy heart I stepped down from the car while looking at the house. The memories are still fresh like it happened yesterday. It maybe easy for someone to apologise of their deeds but it is not easy for the one whose self-respect was hurt. I don't know if I could ever accept it's my house because now I don't feel welcome here. It's not my house anymore. My house was that one BHK apartment where I live with my husband.

"Aditi, let's go..", Dhruv come beside me and asked me to come but I stick on my place looking at the house, having that memory lane again.

How would I am going to face those servents who witnessed when Anuradha aunty put allegations on me of sleeping with many man..She called me whore. Since morning I was trying to divert my mind in other things so I could have a smile on my face when we come here but when I am finally here, I can't help but having those thoughts again and again.

"What happened...?", Dhruv looked at me with concern. I looked at him andshake my head slowly.

"Let's go...", I gave him sad smile and make a move to go inside but Dhruv stopped me. He hold my hand and pull me closer to him.

"Since morning you were try to divert your mind. That essay answers sheets was one of them. I know the memories of the the last time are still fresh in your mind and we won't go inside if you don't want to.", He said looking at me intensely. I looked down and tears drop from my eyes. How could I forget that he knows me too well.

"Dhruv it's not easy for me to forget everything. A sorry can not give me my self respect back which was ruined by Anuradha aunty in-front of whole servants. A sorry can not fix the allegations she has put me in. It's not like that I don't wanted to forgive her. I wanted do, I swear on you but it's not easy to forgive her. I may not look at her the same way I used to do. I always try to find my mother in her but now it's not easy.", I said while wiping my tears and looked at him. He came closer and wipe the fresh tears with his thumb which are just fall from my eyes.