Chapter 26

He was already sitting by the fire. My mind was in an internal struggle as I approached. What did he become an archaic? How could he have let the Saints trap him in Genesis City? It couldn't all be because of the plan. There must be a better reason.

He could have escaped with Brie. He could be free somewhere without the stupid halo on his nape.

If I asked now, he might give me an answer. But did I want to hear it?

He looked up, the fire reflected in his eyes.

"Are you somewhere safe?"

I nodded, looking at his face. If I'd be given the chance to read his mind, I would. But I could only rely on what I knew and what he was willing to share.

"Good." He leaned back and crossed his leg and clasped his hands together. "We need to plan your next move carefully. You can't stay here any longer, Aster. You have to get through a border as soon as possible."

"Not without Katz," I said, blinking away, taking the seat opposite him. "And not without Bella."

He sighed and shook his head, leaving his thoughts unspoken. "Have you been to Mertha's realms?"

"Once, in her dream. They're in this realm she calls the Fog."

"What do you know about it?"

"There's nothing there. Total darkness. The souls she keeps there..." I shivered. "They hunger for anything that breathes."

He slowly nodded, brows fused in a line. "I'm assuming you already know what you want to do?"

"I have Corey. He's quite important, isn't he?"

The scarred corner of his mouth twitched into a small smile. "He is." His eyes searched my face. "You'll exchange him for Katz and your familiar."

I shrugged.

"It's risky, Aster."

"It's time to take risks. Why don't you join us here?" His jaw tightened. As he thought of another lie to tell me, I sighed. "But I understand you're a man who doesn't enjoy taking risks. Do whatever you need to do in Genesis City. We'll do our best here in Exodus."

He nodded sharply and stood. "I have men watching the members of the Council. By now, everyone knows that Corey is missing. More Bishops should be on their way to Exodus to find him. If you think this is the best way to get Katz, I won't stop you." He walked toward me, holding my gaze. "But if anything happens, leave everything behind. Do you understand?"

"What does that mean?"

"Save yourself. Do whatever you need to survive. Don't bring any weight."

"Even an Omen?"

His eyes scoured my face. "Even an Omen."

"But you said we need her."

He turned away and walked to the white door. "She's not the only star out there."

***

Although he wasn't quite happy about the plan, Alistair agreed we needed Katz. I wasn't willing to risk my life crossing a border. Not that I was afraid, of course. I just wasn't completely convinced that I had to cross to the other side. No one could even tell me what awaited me in Old London. I only had the hope that Brie would be there. But what if it was worse? What if it was a trap?

To be honest, I was just going with the flow. Riding the waves, as they'd say. Surviving.

I barely knew who I was at that moment. Or what I was. Half the time, I was only thinking about blood. How I desperately needed more.