Episode 9

ALICE

The Captain sits behind his wooden desk, the light from the street outside puts him in focus as it streams from the arched window, and I stand at ease before his desk with both hands behind my back. The illegal contrabands secured, criminals apprehended, and information on a possible Firelight base of operation. A smile escapes me. "You overstepped, Lavellan." His voice is cold. "You acted without proper authorization."

I place a palm to my chest. "We apprehended the criminals and seized their contrabands, sir." I keep my tone respectful but firm; it is an unsanctioned operation true but I hoped that the results would trump the means. That my actions would be justified. "Isn't results more important than procedures?"

"Fortune favours you this time." He snaps. "The outcome could have been fatal for you and your team." His gaze is piercing and intense, making it clear that he expects obedience from those under his command; he does not want my reasoning, only my apology. "Who would be held responsible then? Me."

"However, the outcome appears otherwise." I hold my ground, and his eyes narrows sharply as his frown deepens. "We achieved results; my team deserves commendations." My pulse quickens, and the prickly sensation of sweat forms on the back of my neck. It doesn't matter what he thinks, I promised my team it would be worth it.

"A soldier adheres to commands." His tone is sharp as he rises to his feet, hands pressing against his deck. "You have no respect for our hierarchy." He strides towards me as he makes his away around his desk, footsteps echoing off the walls as his gaze intensifies. Staring me down as he stands before me, he is lean and athletic with broad shoulders.

"I saw an opportunity and grasped it." A defensive edge escapes my voice, rising in volume and pitch as I speak; eyes narrowing as I stand a little taller, hands clenched into fists and inhaling deeply.

"It was not your call to make; you have no authority to make such a decision." He takes a step closer, looming over me rigidly, and the air around him is tense with his fury. My jaw tightens, sweats breaking out of me as I struggle to maintain my composure. ""I'll have no showoffs!" I shut my eyes to his ear piercing scream.

I stare back, face burning as my blood boils, heart racing and punping adrenaline through me. "Show off?" I keep my voice firm. "My intention was simply to make the City a better place, to address the criminal activities afflicting the Outer Districts. I cannot simply turn a blind eye to those issues. I will not."

"You may be used to having things your way, Lavellan, but grasp the necessity of obeying commands." His voice rises, biting and harsh, sharp blue eyes glaring intently as if he might strike me any moment. But he deflates slightly. "Otherwise, best consider that the Military does not suit you."

My heart sinks as a knot forms in my stomach. All I ever wanted was to prove how capable I was as a soldier, but instead, this is the reward for my efforts? "I should have you quartered." He places his hands behind his back, reining himself back as his expression softens. "Your team will take the Graveyard shift tomorrow, dismissed."

"Sir." I salute, stammering away as I feel the weight of his gaze on my back and I shut the door behind me. Percy is leaning his hand on the column that Reiner is resting his back against, whereas Marvin and Carla is sitting on the Sofa close to them, it is obvious they are pretending as if they didn't hear anything. "Were you guys eavesdropping?"

"There was a lot of yelling for a job well done." Reiner rubs the back of his thick neck, smiling sheepishly. "I was thinking about promotions but that's off the table, Imagine the look on everyone's faces if you were made lieutenant fresh out of the academy."

"His wrath eludes me; why does procedure matter? We apprehended the criminals." I fold my arms, brows furrowing. Why would he be so worked up over procedures? Everyone agrees that the results would make up for it. It's just like the academy again, people are blowing things out of proportion because it is me who breaks the rules, if it were anyone else. My jaw tightens, heart fuming with rage.

"I am sure it was your attitude and talking back that got the Captain riled up." Carla smirks. "I'd thank you for saving my life but it was your fault to begin with, your recklessness nearly got us killed again." Her tone lacking its usual energy, they feel less harsh. I turn to a clapping sound; it is Connor approaching with his condescending smile and scrutinising gaze.

"Congratulations, Lavellan. Maybe I was wrong about you, maybe you are half the woman she is." His words are complimenting, though his tone seethes with resentment. He leans his face close. "Careful, you might find yourself in trouble messing with these people." His voice low as a whisper before walking past me.

"What's his deal?" Percy raises a brow as he wraps an arm around Marvin's neck. "I bet he's mad that you prove everyone wrong, you're in the spotlight now Lieutenant." His tone is playful as ever before he lets out a yawn. "Do we get to rest at least? We did work overtime. I turn my face away, should I break the news? There is no compensation for unauthorized operations. But when has that ever stopped me?

"Get some rest; we'll meet at the hundred steps. I have something special for you all." I offer a warm smile.

KENNY

The door bangs open, it is Arthur carrying Nana in his arms, fear plastered on his face for once. And Evander slams a palm on the table as he stands, the plates and glasses clinking as the table trembles. "I knew it, I knew I shouldn't let her go with you." His voice full of anger and frustration, even if it is aimed to himself, I could not help but feel its heat.

"They're probably on our tail, Kenny." My eyes wide, brain flustered and I focus, trying to shake off my drunker stupor before bolting for the medical kit. Arthur lays her on the floor behind the bar, clothes already removed leaving only the wrapping around her chest and I inspect the wound, it is most certainly from a bullet. Nana shrieks out in pain as I pour wine to clean it, thrashing and cursing as Arthur holds her down.

"Drink this." I give her whatever is left in the wine bottle, and she gulps it down swiftly. I give her a thick wrapped piece of cloth to bite on and turn to look at Emrys who is mashing the yarrow leaves in water before handing it over, and I place them against her wound. Grunting escapes her as I dress bandage around the wound. "What the hell happened?"

"Damned Enforcers were there." Arthur sighs. "What the hell were they doing there? I can't believe they shot us."

"I think they're here." Emrys reaches for the knife under the bar, his kind eyes are as cold as Arthur's, dark brown eyes so dark they almost look black. "Should we take care of them?" Arthur helps me lift Nana up, resting her back against the bar and we look out the window. Whatever Evander said convinces him to walk away, and the light snuffed out as the bells chime.

"Tell me she is alive." Evander approaches, his steps heavy as it thuds against the wooden floor.

"She's alive." Arthur meets his stare, Evander though relieved is far from happy, for a moment I could see a glimpse of him. The real Hound of the Underworld that strikes fear into the heart of everyone. "I am sorry, Evander. We weren't expecting Enforcers to be there."

"She knows you're here, I can tell." Evander turns to look outside the window as he takes his seat before the bar. "I am sure it's the same woman who took Miche." I look at Nana, she is taking deep breaths and drinking more wine from the bottle to numb the pain.

"Friends in high places, do you think Big Mouse is behind her?" Anger simmering in Arthur's tone.

"The Enforcers killed some of Big Mouse's men back there, must be a coincidence." Emrys put one arm across his stomach, still holding a knife before resting his elbow against his wrist and placing a closed fist under his chin. "Miche must have ratted us out, he's the only one in on the plan."

"Miche is no snitch." Arthur insists.

"Fuck this." Everyone turns to Nana. "We never should have told anyone else, we were doing fine with just the three of us." She throws the bottle towards the wall, it shatters into pieces and scatters across the floor. "I am going to kill that bitch." She grunts and I help her up on her feet.

"You're not going anywhere in that condition." Evander stares intently at her, voice low but firm. Nana make no remark as she walks away and climb up the stairs. "The same goes to both of you, this Firelight business ends now." He rise up to his feet before walking away.