Trouble in Darkness (Enid)

"Hey." Enid wrapped her arms around Wednesday from behind. She was working on homework at her desk. Enid noticed she'd been acting different lately. And she didn't think it was just because of her crumbling sanity. 

"What?" Wednesday asked. 

"Can I not hug my girlfriend?" Enid replied. "I'm not touching your skin."

"Fine."

"What's going on? You're acting weird."

"It's Cassandra Nyx." Wednesday admitted. "She's invading us."

"Are you getting jealous?" Enid asked. 

"I'm starting to believe that that is what I'm feeling." Wednesday turned and looked at Enid. "She's sleeping in this room. We don't get any privacy anymore."

"Sure we do, we're alone right now, aren't we?"

"That's not what I—"

Enid ignored the least physical contact as possible rule and put her finger and Wednesday's lips. 

"What are you doing?" She asked, then Enid kissed her.

"I'm kissing you." Enid replied, smiling. 

"I noticed." Wednesday gave a teasing look and Enid's heart beat faster.

"We need to figure out how to make you not turn crazy." Enid said. "All of this not-touching business is putting all the wrong thoughts in your head. I'm not into Cass. We're friends. I still love you, Wens."

Wednesday stared at Enid, which she took as a stare of understanding, and they kissed again.

"Oh, uh, sorry." Enid and Wednesday jumped as the door opened and Cassandra peaked in. "I'm interrupting. I just uh, need my math book and I'll be on my way."

Enid smiled at Cass as she ran and got her book. Wednesday glared, and Enid gave her a look. The glare softened. Barely. 

"See?" Enid said after Cass left. "She's leaving us alone."

"Just shut up." Wednesday ordered, and she pulled Enid's face in to kiss again. 

...

Enid woke in the middle of the night. She wasn't sure what she had woken for. She sat up in her bed. Cass and Wednesday were in their beds, asleep. 

She looked around for a second, then jumped as Wednesday let out a scream. Her blood ran fast, and she didn't know what to do. She'd never heard Wednesday scream before. 

Cassandra was stirring as Enid ran over to Wednesday, who was still screaming. What was it? A nightmare? But Wednesday would enjoy nightmares. She shook Wednesday, but she didn't stop.  So Enid grabbed her and held her to her chest. 

"Hey, hey. It's okay! Wake up! Please!" Enid said to Wednesday. Cass was down from her bed by now and they exchanged terrified glances. 

"Go get someone!" Enid said, and Cassandra nodded and ran out.

Soon, though it felt like an eternity, Wednesday's screaming grew uneven and died off. She slumped in Enid's arms and her eyes opened. 

"Wednesday? Wens?" Enid asked, heart pounding. 

"Tick tock." Wednesday looked up at Enid, but her eyes weren't focused. Enid but her lip. She was having a fit. "The spiders are still crawling up my arms. I don't have much time until they get to my shoulders."

"There aren't any spiders, Wens." Enid replied. She hit her lip again, to stop herself from crying. It was so wrong, what was happening. And why her? Why Wednesday? When Enid had just got her to herself... 

"I can feel their legs." Wednesday said, her eyes closing as the principle ran up to the door along with a few students and faculty. They'd probably heard the screams. The faculty was shooing them away back to their dorms.

"Oh my god." Principle Holland said as she neared. "What happened? Enid? Is she all right?"

"I don't know." Enid trembled. "This hasn't happened before."

"We're taking her to the nurse." Principle Holland said as a couple other teachers came forward and pulled Wednesday out of Enid's arms. "I doubt they'll be able to help considering her condition, but I'm sure she'll be fine."

Enid started to follow as Wednesday was carried away, but Miss Blakely blocked her. 

"You need to get your sleep, Enid." She said. "We're still at school and it's the middle of the night."

"But that's my girlfriend!" Enid argued. "I'm not going to just—"

"She will be fine." Miss Blakely insisted. "You can see her in the morning."

Enid huffed, deciding not to fight it. "I will."

Miss Blakely nodded and hugged Enid. "I know it's hard when someone you love is going through something. But that doesn't mean she would want you to be sleep-walking through school the next day."

Enid pushed herself out of the hug. She wasn't in the mood. "I'm not sure you understand. But fine, I'll go back to sleep. If I can."

"Good girl." Miss Blakey's smiled and walked towards the door. "It's going to be okay."

After she shut the door, Enid slipped back under the covers. Cassandra was already back up on top and everyone else had left. 

"Are you okay?" Case called from the top bunk. 

"No." Enid replied. "But I don't think I can find a way to be with Wednesday, so please just let me try to sleep."

"Will you be able to?"

"Probably not." Enid sighed. She didn't even try to figure out each emotion flowing through her. She mostly felt she'll-shocked. Still surprised, not having been able to process what had just happened. 

She also felt the emptiness of the room. It felt so empty without Wens in it. It was weird.

She didn't get much sleep.

All she could think about was Wednesday.

- - -

I didn't plan this ahead of time so I was sort of surprised by how this chapter came out. I sort of like it. I mean— I don't like how Wednesday's getting worse, but I like how the chapter turned out.

Vote, comment, and share this story with others please! Follow me as well!

Thank you. Have a spectacular day!

-VictoryGreen8

P.S. I do occasionally do recommendations for other writers, so if you want me to recommend you, follow me and then kindly message me with a request.