Altars

So you want to set up an altar? Or your wandering what an altar is. You don't need an altar to be a witch, but a lot of people like having them because it keeps things organised and provides a place for you to focus on your craft.
It doesn't have the be big, it can be a windowsill, a bedside table, a shelf, a corner, anything.

An altar is a space where you put your magick items, and do magick things. So for example, I use my desk as my altar, it's where I prepare my spells and put my ingredients.

There's no set way to organise an altar, but at needs to at the very least have a candle, be protected and have some kind of cleansing tool. You also don't need an altar cloth but they can be very useful for keeping things clean, you just throw it in the washing every so often. And can be a form of symbolism or a guide on where to place things.

symbolism or a guide on where to place things.
The only thing I'd say to keep in mind is where you put it if you work with a deity/spirt etc. like if you worked with someone who prefers the dark it'd be best to put it in a darker area.

What I suggest putting on an altar:
-candles
-incense
-altar cloth
-tarot cards or playing cards
-crystals
-statues/figures of whatever you work with(ex: a picture of Jesus if a Christian witch)
-offerings for said god(s)
-flowers/herbs/leaves etc.
-trinkets
-shells/sticks/rocks etc.
-your grimoire or BOS
-books on witchcraft in general
-decor that fits your craft(ex: if a green witch put lots of plants and herbs)
-jewellery
-wands
-rune stones
-prayer beads
-cauldrons
-sentimental items
-photos/art

Point is, your altar is your space. You can do whatever you want with it and set it up wherever you feel works and whenever you have room. You can slowly build it up too, you don't need to make it all at once!