A CLEAN SLATE

Did you inform them about Amrit's wrongdoings?’ Ritwik  asks.
‘No. They won’t believe me. Amrit is their son after all. Why on earth will they believe an outsider?’
‘But I think you must go to them. Time is still there.’
‘No, they’re extremely powerful people. I don’t want to jeopardize my peaceful life again.’
‘This is what you call to be a peaceful life?’ questions Ritwik .
‘Whatever! But a life better than in the Shekhawat Mansion.’
‘Then you should go to the police.’
‘No. I can’t.’
‘Why? Fine. I’ll go in your place.’
Emma suddenly gets up.
‘No, Alex, no. You’re not going anywhere. The police are also involved with them. They will ruin everything.’
‘Why are you so scared? Nothing will happen.’
‘Please, for God’s sake don’t make my life more complicated,’ she joins her hands and requests him.
‘Fine. I won’t do anything.’
He pacified her.
‘Why didn’t you return Goa to your family?’ he asks.
‘I am dead for them now. I don’t want to show myself before them. I am ashamed.’
‘But why? They’re your family. They will accept you.’
‘But not the society,’ explains Emma.
‘No...by the way, where is Pari now?’
‘Right in this house. She called you to play with her.’
‘Diana?’
‘Yes.’
‘Oh my goodness! Everything is completely messed up here.’
‘I know. To clear all the disorientations, I have called you here, Alex. As I told you that Aditya loved Pari. He didn’t wanted to lose her at any cost. And he is now after my child. That’s why I and Pari have to change our identities with fake certificates. And you know what we change our residents after every three months so that nobody suspects us. I don’t know when will I be able to come out of all these?’
Tears envelope her eyes. Ritwik  grasps her fingers with his and keeps his hand on hers.
‘I am always there for you, Ma’am. Don’t worry. Everything will be sorted out very soon.’
Emma smiles at him.
‘It’s time for a clean slate now,’ he says.
Emma nods in agreement.
‘You know I find a true confidante in you,’ informs Emma.
‘Thanks,’ Ritwik  says, blushing.
‘Pri, come. Are you done with your studies?’ Pari interrupts.
‘Yep.’
Ritwik  gets up and joins Pari.
                                **************
Switching on and off the lamplight repeatedly is stipulating the bedlam state of Ritwik . He is still worrying about Emma.
Life is so unfair to her. She does not deserve all these. He thinks.
‘Dada!’ a childish voice reverberates his ears.
He lifts his face up and sees Arya standing at the threshold with her hands folded at the back.
‘Arya?’
‘Actually, I came here to inform you about something.’
‘Yes, go ahead.’
‘Rubel came to our house this evening to see you. But you were not there. He told Maa that you had promised for a practice match with the opposing team. But you didn’t turned up there. He was much infuriated.’
‘Oh fish! I completely forgot. I must make a call to him. Thanks Arya for informing.’
‘You are welcome.’
She leaves the room. Ritwik  immediately takes out his phone and dials to Rubel.
‘Hello?’ he says.
‘No boring sorries, Pri. You’ve already ruined everything. Thank you so much,’ Rubel says, nettled.
‘Listen...I am...I’m sorry. I completely forgot.’
‘Forgot? How could you,  Pri? I mean this was so important, right? You know the opposing team members publicly declared us as LOSERS.’
‘What? How dare they? Why were you all quiet?’
‘How could we say anything when the captain himself was fucking dead?’
‘We will conduct the match tomorrow again.’
‘No gainsaying. Bygones are bygones.’
‘I know. Trust me. It was actually important.’
‘May I know about that other important business?’
‘Yeah! But just a summary.’
‘Yes, please.’
‘I am in love.’
There is complete silence for a few seconds. Suddenly, Rubel nonchalantly asks, ‘And what’s the validity?’
‘Till the last breath.’
‘Yeah! Same line for Tammanah! Do you remember?’
‘Yes, very well. But this time I am fucking serious man. I am head-over heels in love with her,’ confirms Ritwik .
‘Are you sure?’
‘Yep.’
‘Wow! I mean...I am really happy for you. Who’s she?’ Rubel asks naughtily.
‘Emma...I mean Erica.’
‘Who’s she?’
‘Our new Mathematics teacher...’
‘C’mon another crush of yours.’
‘No, I am being honest. No cheating this time. Promise!’
‘I am stunned. Well, does she feels the same?’
‘I don’t know. But she says that she finds an honest confidante in me.  I think she likes me. Her daughter also likes me. And that’s enough for me to get to her heart.’
‘How’s her daughter?’
‘C’mon, she’s just of six.’
‘Fuck! Anyway, where were you guys this evening?’
‘In her house.’
‘How was she on bed, huh?’ Rubel teases.
‘Shut up! Respect her. Nothing like that happened. She is unaware regarding the butterflies in my stomach.’
‘That means you didn’t speak your heart out?’
‘No.’
‘You’re such a dumbass. When are you going to do that then?’
‘When the time will come...’
‘Oh yeah, right!’ Rubel smirks.
‘I am sorry once again.’
‘It’s okay. Hope you don’t get busy tomorrow!’
‘I swear. I will not.’
‘Good. Anyway, good night.’
‘Same to you!’
He disconnects the call and switches off the lights. He rests his head on the pillow with both his hands below his head. He keeps on thinking about Emma and blushes.