AN UNEXPECTED NAME

‘Hey! Won’t you go to school today?’ asks Ritwik .
‘Actually I am not feeling good. Mamma use to drop me. But today there is no Mamma. I don’t want to go,’ declares Pari.
‘But studies are very important, right? You said that you wish to become a doctor one day.’
‘Yes.’
‘Then you need to study and work hard. It’s your Mamma's dream equally. Am I right?’
‘Hmm.’
‘So, I allow you to take a break only for today. But from tomorrow onwards, no breaks. Is it clear?’
‘Okay, done and seal.’
‘Good.’
‘Ritz, I want to visit my Mamma's grave. The policemen didn’t allow me to see her body for the last time before burying.’
‘Sure. I will take you. Now.’
He holds her hand and takes her to the grave by his car which is being driven by the driver.
                                    ********
Pari and Ritwik  stand before a grave with a gravestone stating about Emma.
Emma Wingate
1990-2023
Remembered with love
Pari's eyes become watery. She runs and hugs the grave.
‘Pari, please come back,’ Ritwik  requests.
‘No, she is my Mamma. I’m not leaving her.’
‘This is not the right way to greet her. You come to me. We will together pray for her.’
‘No way.’
‘Pari, I said come here,’ Ritwik  commands.
Hearing the bossy tone, Pari comes back to him. Ritwik  places a white rose before the grave. They join their hands in prayer.’
Our Father,
Who art in Heaven
Hallowed be Thy name;
Thy kingdom come...
They both recite the pray for Emma's peace.
‘Amen!’, Pari concludes the pray.
‘The death is not justified,’ suddenly an old man comes and declares. He is wearing an old rugged cloth with a shawl on it. He has big messy beards with white long hairs.
‘Excuse me?’ Ritwik  looks questioningly at him.
‘She regrets her death.’
‘What do you mean?’
‘She is not in peace. Her soul is restless.’
Now Pari starts shivering due to the uncanny lines by the old man. Ritwik  notices that.
Probably a madman who has been wandering in this graveyard for no reason. He thinks.
‘Alright Pari! Let’s go.’
‘Run! Run! Run! This is what you know to do. Your love is just ostentatious and nothing else,’ the old man taunts.
Hearing this, Ritwik  pauses and looks at the old man with eyes full of questions.
‘What do you mean?’, he asks.
‘Emma never deserved the punishment. The real culprit is sleeping peacefully. You won’t realize that. But if your love is true, then find out that culprit and provide Emma's soul peace.’
Saying so, he walks away. Ritwik  is still in shock.
                              *******
‘I think we must join the wires. The street lights will automatically turn on,’ suggests Ritwik  pointing towards the constructing ‘Smart City’ project on the worktable.
‘Yep. Let’s do it,’ agrees Sahil.
Ritwik , Sahil, Pihu and Anaya are doing the project together. They are standing before a big worktable. The room is extremely spacious with proper ventilation and sunlight.
‘I seriously fell in love with The Shekhawat Mansion. It’s mind-boggling!’ compliments Pihu.
‘Thank you,’ smiles Anaya.
‘From when you have been aboding here?’ asks Ritwik .
Anaya likes Ritwik ’s query about her.
‘Past three years. My parents passed away in a plane crash. I was left alone in Boston. But one day, Adi chachu came as a ray of hope in my life. He is that angel who helped me to accept the reality and move on from the past,’ narrates Anaya.
‘I didn’t know that your chachu is so benevolent,’ says Ritwik  with sarcasm.
Pihu gives a puzzling look to Ritwik .
‘Yes, he’s the best,’ says Anaya.
And Anaya’s phone rings. Her phone is placed beside Ritwik . He sees AMRIT CHACHU on the screen. The name drops a bombshell to Ritwik . Anaya comes and collects her phone.
‘Hello, chachu?’
She turns towards her friends.
‘Just a minute, guys!’
She goes to another room.
Ritwik  picks up his bag and immediately walks out of the house without saying anything to anyone. Pihu and Sahil look shockingly at each other.