8| Visit to home

Relatives, blood relatives

They care for you, stand in your every happiness and hardships, do not think bad of you and will always treat you as their child.

We all agree that's bullshit right?

While some picture perfect families do have that kind of relatives, for some of us, we don't.

For them, money is everything.

If by chance our grandparents leave a bit of property after their death, everyone takes a form of snake and do the competition of who stabs on the back first.

My grandfather, left a large piece of his property, our family home.

He had written everyone's share on his will. But did his children follow it? No.

Did they did some wiring to twist it and take the bigger share? Yes.

And my grandmother, my dear grandmother.

Ever as blind for her love of her first son.

Hypocrite, unjustly. Cunning too.

Many other words, but my mother gives me a smack on the back of head if I say words to my grandmother.

I take her hand in mine and kiss her knuckles.

She merely gives me a glance and nods.

British colonisers left one of them behind in the form of my grandmother for us to tolerate her.

I go back to sit beside my mother and give Meltem a small smile as she sits beside me.

"You can go out, if you are not comfortable." I whisper to her. "Aygun is upstairs, go to her."

She shakes her head, "I want to be here."

I never let Meltem and Aygun be in these family meetings. I don't want them to witness what I did.

But since I know the nature of this meeting is not that severe, I let Meltem sit because she insisted to be involved.

And I won't let the toxicity of our relatives reach to an extent, I will not let her witness that.

I squeeze her hand and look at my mom, who was wringing her hands nervously.

My mother is an extremely kind hearted person. She never raised her voice on us, nor anyone else, including those who wronged her.

Whenever my grandmother used to scold her for something really unnecessary, she would simply listen with her head bowed.

My grandmother thought that my father's daughters would be the same, and then came me.

So what if my mother don't say anything, I will say it on her behalf.

"Babaanne," I clear my throat, "I got to know about the legal papers Amca showed to baba last week. Can I know what it is?"
[Grand mother, Uncle]