CH 17

"Nori!"

I bolted upright, almost colliding with Anders' face where he kneeled next to the bed. His hand was still on my shoulder from waking me up.

"I'm fine." I shrugged his hand off, running my hands over my sweat covered face. The nightmares have returned every night. I couldn't remember it this time, but the lingering sense of dread still clung to my skin. Anders eyed me uncertainly.

"I brought dinner." I didn't notice the plate of roasted rabbit and cooked cabbage in his hand. "I came earlier but you were still asleep."

"Thank you, Anders." Just the thought of food turned my stomach, but I plastered a smile on my face. "I haven't been getting much sleep," I admitted, though the bags under my eyes probably gave me away.

"I'll be next door if you need anything." Anders stood, brushing the dust off his knees.

I set the plate of food aside after he left. What I really needed right now was a nice warm bath but I would have to settle for a cold wash basin. On shaky legs, I walked over to the basin and though the water was only a few days old, there was already a layer of dust and dirt floating on the surface. Dipping my hand in, a small wave rippled across the bowl. My shoulders sagged as I wiped my hand across my pants.

The river was on the other side of camp but it wasn't hard to find with the sound of rushing water nearby. I had a stolen hat that I took from Rylan's belongings perched on my head that I had tucked the ends of my short hair into so I could sneak around unnoticed.

It was already dark outside and the sky was blotted with dark gray clouds. I hugged my arms to my chest as a cool breeze swept between the tents. I passed by a few lingering soldiers but they didn't spare me a second glance as they hurried on their way.

The basin bowl was tucked beneath my arm as I hurried through the camp with my head down. I could hardly see the river in the dark but I heard it as my feet stopped on the riverbank, sinking into the mud. Was it my imagination or was the river rushing faster than normal?

I rolled my pants legs up as I waded through the cold water until it reached my ankles. I leaned over, following the bowl halfway before setting it on the bank. I plunged my hands into the water next, crouching low and streams of water ran down my forearms. Once the dried sweat was washed from my face, I stood and dried my hands on the towel tucked into my waistband. I picked up the half full bowl, careful of the water threatening to slosh over the sides.

"What are you doing out here?"

I spun on my heel, water spilling over the side and onto my shirt. I swore under my breath as I poured the rest of it -what remained anyway- onto the ground. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone with bright, stark hair standing on the edge of camp.

"What does it look like?" I thrust the bowl back into the river, filling it back up more carefully this time.

"Where's Anders?" Haigen stepped forward, running a towel through damp hair although his face was still smudged with soot.

"I didn't want to bother him." I trekked up the riverbank towards him, the bowl warily perched on my hip.

"Come on, I'll walk you back." Haigen draped his towel over his shoulders and I couldn't help but notice the dark stains that covered it. He probably went through a towel a week.

"I don't need to be looked after all the time. I'm perfectly capable of walking by myself." I rolled my eyes, but fell in step with Haigen anyway. I had a feeling he was just as stubborn as everyone else.

"Nice hat." Haigen chuckled, nodding towards my head.

I reached up and touched the wool cap, tucking a piece of hair that had fallen loose. "It's my disguise."

"It almost worked too. If anybody else had come along, they would have been fooled. Alas, I was far too smart for that. It's a blessing and a curse." I laughed at the way Haigen so freely joked around, without a care in the world or fingers for that matter.
"So how's your project coming along?"

"Better." His eyes lit up in the darkness and his words rushed together as they left his mouth. "We tried your idea, even though Haiden thought it was pointless -sour one, he is- and it worked. Well, almost. But it didn't almost blow the camp up again so progress."

"I'd probably be sour too if I lost an eyebrow."

Haigen waved his hands through the air. "It's growing back, mostly. Except that one spot..." He trailed off in thought, his nose crinkled up. "But don't mention that to him."

"My lips are sealed."

We were close enough now that I could see Rylan's cabin through the tents. "Thank you for escorting me, but I think I've got it from here."

"I'll be off then." Haigen mock saluted and turned on his heel calling out a 'good night' before he disappeared around a corner.

I walked back into Rylan's cabin, my mood better than when I left it. I set the bowl of water back into its spot on the basin stand. The reflection in the small mirror caught my eye before I could turn away. The bags under my eyes had gotten worse, now a light purple and my mouth wilted at the corners from exhaustion, but even then I couldn't force myself back into bed. Not where the nightmares waited for me. Instead I waited. Waited for the world to fall asleep so I could wander freely.

_____

It was sometime around midnight when I crept outside. After the past few nights, I had gotten rather good at sneaking around the camp, although I always had a talent for it. Nobody saw me and nobody heard me. As I took up my usual spot across from a target, bow in hand, I settled into the familiar rhythm. I sent arrow after arrow flying across the sky, each finding their mark in the bullseye. Reaching for the last arrow in the quiver, I positioned it on the bow and just as I pulled the bowstring back, ready to release the arrow, somebody cleared their throat right behind me.

"Nori?"