CH 31

Days had passed since I was locked in this tower. Days since a single soul had walked through the door. Time seemed to pass differently in this room and I'd lost track of how many days had gone by, but I also hadn't made an effort to count them.

I'd taken to yelling at the door, mostly obscenities that would shame my father. But I never got a response, not one word, not one sound. I didn't even know if anyone was outside because it was always quiet. Until today.

"You can't keep me here forever!"

I should've noticed the footsteps stomping up the stairs or the delicious aroma of warm food coming from the crack under the door but when the door unlocked, I was just surprised that it opened at all.

Servants rushed into the room, each with a covered platter in their arms. They even carried in a table and two chairs. Two chairs?

"I could actually."

King Tano stood in the open doorway, oblivious to the many servants that skittered around him. He still wore his black coat, although the front was undone, revealing a black tunic underneath with red embroidery that peeked out from under the coat. It reminded me of the marble throughout the castle. He didn't even look out of breath from climbing the endless stairs.

I figured it was customary to stand when royalty entered a room, perhaps even bow, and from the worried looks the servants kept giving me, King Tano expected the same. But even if my weak legs could have supported my weight -when had my last meal been?- I wouldn't give him the satisfaction so I remained seated in the middle of the bed, legs tucked beneath me as King Tano strode further into the room.

The servants finished setting the table quickly with a meal that could feed at least a dozen people. The table was overflowing and yet the platters of food remained covered. The servants backed against the wall, the one without the death window, and awaited orders.

King Tano stopped right in front of me, his shins brushing the side of the bed. He held a ring-clad hand out to me. "Come. You must be hungry."

I was. At least, I should have been. My stomach had given up its protesting two days ago when it realized food was a hopeless dream. Then I thought that was their plan. To let me starve to death.

I wanted to smack the king's hand away and yell for him to go away, but the smell of food clouded my senses and my eyes kept flickering between his hand and the table. Finally, I pushed myself up from the bed, ignoring his offered hand although the smirk on his face made me regret not smacking it.

Black clouds spotted my vision and I reached out to steady myself with the bedpost but my hand found a warm shoulder instead. Before I could let go, King Tano grabbed my elbow, steadying me and trapping me in one motion. I grit my teeth, but didn't jerk away. Mostly because I wasn't certain I could make it to the table three feet away.

King Tano helped me into one of the two chairs at the small table and I hated how weak I had become during my days here. With a wave of his hand, the servants sprung to life, fluttering around the table, lifting the covers off the platters of food and filling the silver goblets with mulled wine. The aromas were intoxicating, filling the room with warm comfort that brought forth a forgotten memory.

It was one with both of my parents before we had moved to Dast, when we still lived in Bellevue. We had taken a stroll through the city markets where various vendors had set up stalls to sell their wares. It must've been a holiday or a celebration because I remembered it was more crowded than usual. The same scents assaulted my nose now and my eyes snapped open. I wasn't even aware I had closed them.

My mouth went dry at the sight of the spread of food on the table, what little appetite I had now completely gone. Each and every dish was a staple of Verdanan cuisine: smoked salmon, clam chowder, fig tarts, chestnut soup. I glared at King Tano, who popped a candied ginger into his mouth.

"If you're going to do something, do it already. I'm sick of your games."

King Tano took his time licking the sugar from his fingers, he even reached for another ginger but I smacked his hand away before he could grab one. I heard a collective gasp from the servants that I had forgotten were still in the room.

"What do you want with me?" I intended to sound confident and strong, but my voice cracked on the last word.

The king leaned back in his chair, steepling his fingers across his lap as he crossed one leg over the other. His face betrayed nothing of what he was thinking as his eyes studied me. I shifted in my seat but didn't look away.

"You've been quite the topic of interest lately. Frankly, I don't give a damn what happens to you. Kill you, imprison you." His eyes raked over the feast in a slow motion and then looked back to me, lifting his pointed goatee in a silent challenge. "Or you could remain here. You could swear fealty to me and I will make sure you live the rest of your life without want."

I wasn't sure if it was the hunger panging in my belly or the delicious food within my reach or even the lack of sleep from the uncomfortable bed that gave me pause. I almost imagined what it would be like. Walking the halls of Mortham Keep freely. But no, I would never be free here. I would constantly be looking over my shoulder, waiting for the moment someone changed their minds about me.

"I would rather die than spend the remainder of my days trapped in this castle."

King Tano's charcoal eyes glinted and I thought I saw a glimmer of disappointment in them but as quick as it was, it was gone. He stood from the chair, brushing the palms of his hands against his pants although no dust had been left behind. He said, "So be it." And nothing else, striding out of the room.

The servants took away the table, the platters of food and even the chair I was sitting in. I thought about trying to steal a tray, perhaps knocking out a servant or two and trying to escape, but I did nothing as I watched them leave.

A sweet biscuit rolled off of one of the plates and hit the ground. Whether they didn't care or didn't notice, nobody picked it up. As the last of them left and the door closed behind them, I dropped to my knees next to the biscuit and cradled it in my hands. I nibbled on the corner, wishing for home.

A/N

As we're nearing the end of this story (probably around 10ish more chapters), be prepared for more frequent updates. I'm so excited to finish this story with all of you and I hope you enjoy and stick around for what's next!

See you in the next chapter,

T