CH 27

The door to the stall was high, but it had to be to keep the horses in. I could barely see the latch on the other side. They hadn't bothered with a lock. They didn't need to with my hands tied behind me. There was no way I could reach it.

Something tugged my hair from the back and I spun around just as a gust of hot air blew across my face. I hadn't noticed the tan horse before though he wasn't much taller than I was. Chester's narrow face leaned over the divider between the two stalls. I stepped away from his open mouth just as he was about to take another swipe at my hair.

"Of course I'm stuck in here with you."

I leaned my shoulder against the far wall and watched as Chester decided to chew on the wooden post instead. I shook my head, looking over the gate again.

There was only one person guarding the entrance to the stable, one of the soldiers with a blue armband. His hand rested on the hilt of the sword at his hip and he was turned away from me. I gave the door a hard kick with my boot but if he heard me, he didn't turn around.

I stood on my tiptoes to get a better look at the latch -if only I could reach it- when I felt something hard press against my calf. I thought perhaps it was Chester again but he was still chomping away at the marred post. Then I remembered. The knife.

I propped my foot on the opposite wall, wobbling on just one leg, and I could barely see the handle of the knife tucked against my sock. Chester leaned over, giving it a quick sniff before turning his head away.

With my other foot, I tried kicking the boot off, but the laces were too tight for it to slide off. I twisted and turned until my fingertips brushed against the heel of the shoe. I grasped it in my hands and wiggled my boot to dislodge the knife. A bead of sweat formed on my brow and the muscles in my shoulders protested the awkward position. Finally, the knife slid free, falling onto the pile of hay.

I dropped to the ground, frantically searching with my hands behind me until they grazed the cool metal of the knife. I angled the blade between my wrists and started sawing through the binds.

The knife was dull and it took several minutes before they finally sliced all the way through. Chester started whinnying at the sound of hushed voices at the entrance of the stable, stamping the ground with his hooves just as the last of the rope fell from my wrists.

"Chester," I hissed. "Hush, you big oaf."

I almost missed the sound of approaching footsteps over Chester's neighing. A pair of boots stopped outside my stall just as I jumped to my feet.

The gate swung open and I lunged forward, knife in my outstretched hand and halted. Rylan had a sword sheathed at his hip, looped into his belt and a bag slung over his shoulder. The same bag I had packed earlier when I tried to leave. Had that only been today? The tip of my knife hovered above Rylan's neck. He didn't flinch but the look of surprise on his face told me he wasn't expecting this.

"What are you doing here?"

"Where did you get that?" We said in unison.

I narrowed my eyes, lowering my arm down by my side. "I asked you first."

"I'm here to save you. Although it looks like you're off to a good start. Now come on, we don't have much time." Rylan grabbed my hand, tugging me after him but I dug my heels into the ground, bringing us to a grinding stop.

"Why?" I asked, glancing at our intertwined hands. "Why now? Did your conscience finally catch up to you?"

Rylan rolled his eyes, giving me a look that said we didn't have time for this conversation, but I had to know I wasn't walking into another trap.

"They've been watching me. I was just now able to slip away." He took both my hands in his and stepped closer, his hazel eyes burning deep into mine. His next words were low and barely audible. "I won't let anything happen to you."

"What about you?" I searched his face for even a hint of hesitation but found none. "You'll be a traitor if you do this."

"It's too late." Rylan murmured, the smallest line appearing between his furrowed brow. He pressed his lips to the crown of my head. "I care about you more."

I let Rylan hold me in his arms even though we were surrounded by the smell of horse and hay, even though the voice in the back of my head told me that we needed to leave. Rylan must've heard the same voice because he stepped back, though the glow in his eyes hadn't gone away completely. I bent down to tuck my knife back into my boot, but Rylan placed his hand over mine.

"You might need that." I nodded, grasping the handle firmly in my fist as we snuck back towards the entrance of the stable.

A massive brown head swung into view, almost colliding with Rylan who placed his palm against it. He petted Dava's forehead, scratching the spot between her eyes and whispered to her, "You'll be okay here."

"Shouldn't we take her? We'd be faster."

"We can't risk being seen. She'll be fine."

Rylan didn't sound convinced, but he gave her one last pat and walked away without looking back. Dava turned to me with somber, brown eyes. I rested my hand against her warm muzzle. I couldn't help the ping of sadness at the thought of leaving Dava behind.

The soldier at the entrance of the stables now lay unconscious on the ground, his blue armband peeking out from behind him. Rylan didn't say anything as we tiptoed by him.

The sun had set, replaced by a sliver of the waning moon brushing the tops of the trees. It barely lit the path beneath our feet as we carefully trekked towards the edge of the camp. We stuck close to the trees, blending into the shadows. There was nobody on this side of the camp. They must all be at dinner if the commotion from the dining hall was any indication.

Rylan stopped, his hand inching toward his sword as he listened. I strained my ears but all I heard was his steady breathing. I clutched my knife in my hand, palm slick with sweat. We were almost there. Almost to the thicket of woods. But we never made it that far.

A/N

Just checking in. How's everyone enjoying the story so far? I believe we are over halfway to the end and I can't wait to finish this story with all of you. Don't forget to comment and vote!

See you in the next chapter,

T