The Midnight Duel

Next few days went by as Y/n got settled in Hogwarts. He wasn't pleased by the response of his father about the Gringotts news, telling him to not get into things not concerning him.

As he was about to exit the common room, he found a group of students standing infront of the notice board as he went to see what all the fuss was about, his mood, which was already not good, went a little down hill.

The flying lessons would begin on Thursday ---- and Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together. He didn't have much problem with Slytherin, heck two of his friends were in Slytherin but he was not looking forward to exchange words with his cousin.

“Typical,” said Harry darkly. “Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy.”

“You don’t know that you’ll make a fool of yourself,” said Ron reasonably.

“Anyway, I know Malfoy’s always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that’s all talk.”

Malfoy certainly did talk about flying a lot. He complained loudly about first years never getting on the house Quidditch teams and told long, boastful stories that always seemed to end with him narrowly escaping Muggles in helicopters.

Y/n had seen Malfoy's flying on his own, he wasn't the best of flyers as he boasted but he still was good, Yes many could say he didn't have the right technique, but he still was good nonetheless. But not wanting to make Harry more sad he just hummed with Ron's statement.

Students from both the houses were taking the News differently, like for Hermione and Dephne, both were the first and only to go through library, for any help making Y/n have a fun time time scaring both of them how they will fall and hurt themselves.

Neville was the one most scared on the idea of broom classes, having a first hand experience on the broom, Neville was thinking of many ways to skip the class, until getting a little lecture and assurance from Y/n that he will look after him during the class.

As they were having breakfast at the Great Hall, Hermione was going on and on about flying from Quidditch through ages, a book Y/n had read about a dozen times, to learn about quidditch, he was getting a little bored.

At such the lecture was interrupted by the arrival of the mail.

A barn owl brought Neville a small package from his grandmother. He opened it excitedly and showed them a glass ball the size of a large marble, which seemed to be full of white smoke.

“It’s a Remembrall!” he explained. “Gran knows I forget things — this tells you if there’s something you’ve forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red — oh…”

His face fell, because the Remembrall had suddenly glowed scarlet, “you’ve forgotten something…”

Neville was trying to remember what he’d forgotten when Draco Malfoy, who was passing the Gryffindor table, snatched the Remembrall out of his hand.

Harry and Ron jumped to their feet. Y/n giving him a death stare. Harry and Ron were half hoping for a reason to fight Malfoy, Y/n still staring at him, asking him to make one wrong step.

Scowling, Malfoy quickly dropped the Remembrall back on the table. “Just looking,” he said, and he sloped away with Crabbe and Goyle behind him.

At three-thirty that afternoon, and the Gryffindors hurried down the front steps onto the grounds for their first flying lesson. It was a clear, breezy day, and the grass rippled under their feet as they marched down the sloping lawns toward a smooth, flat lawn on the opposite side of the grounds to the forbidden forest, whose trees were swaying darkly in the distance.