chapter eighteen;

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN;

WELCOME TO THE CHILDHOOD TRAUMA'S CLUB !

TRAUMA'S CLUB !

SEPTEMBER 4TH 1994

FOR AS LONG AS DAPHNE COULD remember, all she had ever wanted was to be Athena Black's friend.

The desire was only natural for the five years old, hearing about the girl one too many times.

It wasn't even the fact that Athena was this genius child everyone—in their circle—heard about. The mysterious, grumpy girl, who would avoid anyone who wasn't her house-elf. The smart girl who would mutter sarcastic comments under breath at every event, comments that would make Daphne—and the other two idiots—laugh every time.

It was the fact that she was a child grieving alone under the watchful eyes of the she-devil, as she, Theo and Draco once named her.

Daphne, contrary of public opinion, wasn't stupid. She knew about Athena's nightmares, she saw the eye balls under her eyes every day before she learned to cover it. Daphne even saw a scar on her once and that was before the girl turned into a werewolf.

Five years old Daphne, and then every years old later Daphne, wanted to help her. She knew she could never stand up to those who caused her pain, but she always wanted to keep her company and heal her wounds even if she couldn't safe her from them.

After they came to Hogwarts she thought she finally had a chance. Daphne was certain they would both be sorted into Slytherin and become roommates. She was ready to become her friend and do stuff Athena wasn't forced to do.

And for a while, it was getting better.

Daphne could've sworn on her little sister's life, Athena was softening up to them a tiny bit, that she was slowly letting them in. She was more often in their presence, not avoiding them constantly, started to talk to them with more than one sentence. She even teased them a bit, cracking smirks and jinxing Theo off his broom.

( And Daphne tried her hardest not to let it get to her that Potter might have something to do with that. Constantly arguing and teasing the Black girl, bringing her to hold conversations when she couldn't do that. Fine. It was fine. )

It all went out of the window—a muggle term, she heard once—when Artemis Selwyn died.

Daphne honestly never had anything against the woman, except for the little fact that she caused Athena pain and bad dreams for thirteen years.