chapter twenty-five;

"HOW DANGEROUS," SHE THOUGHT, "TO FINALLY HAVE SOMETHING WORTH LOSING

"TO FINALLY HAVE SOMETHING
WORTH LOSING."

DECEMBER 23TH 1994

IF YOU TOLD ATHENA FIVE YEARS AGO she would stand in her cousin's dorm, pacing around Theodore Nott's bed and speculating with him on what her half brother was trying to do, she would send you straight into the next hospital.

„What if he hexed Daphne's and Draco's mind?" he wondered, laying down comfortably as he watched her walk holes in his floor. „They wouldn't normally trust someone that easily, we usually look to you whenever someone new pops out of nowhere."

Athena stilled at this information only briefly, glancing at him.

The thought had came to her too, of course, after she cooled down awhile ago. It was another reason why she kept the talk to them to a minimum. If he did manipulate their minds then he would probably look into their conversation and try to find something to use against her.

She was a paranoid person.

„I couldn't get close enough to either of them to check," Athena admitted. „If I try to look into their head when they sleep, he's going to know. My kind of magic is not exactly subtle."

„And you can't exactly walk up to them and say Hey, Daphne, Draco, I need to talk to you about something," Theodore mocked her voice high-pitched. „That would kind of be out of character for you, not to mention suspicious."

Athena glared at him, „I don't sound like that."

„No, your voice is deeper than Draco's," Theodore laughed, then yelped at the small fireball that hit the tip of his hair. „Hey, I just cut my hair."

She ignored him, taking out the journal of her mother. She skipped a couple of years, landing to the part where Artemis got pregnant. The woman was seventeen, nearly eighteen and in her last year at Hogwarts when she wrote about the prophecy.

It's been two months since I realised I'm pregnant. Regulus is still pretending to be fine about it, but it doesn't take a genius to see the nerves on his face whenever I catch him staring at me and my stomach. Or maybe I have known him for too long.

Trelawney's words wouldn't get out of my head now that I'm pregnant. I remember her constantly calling me the Selwyn girl and talking about evil. Every other seer I met on my journey said the same thing, except they were talking about me like I wasn't in the room and I'm starting to think it's not about me.