Kain Benedict

Sweet. My mouth watered a bitter flavor.

Terror had covered her soft face.

I hadn't seen a person in so long I forgot how soft and warm they were until I felt her pulse rush under my hand.

I studied her while she trembled.

Jeans looser but hugging her thighs, wider hips, body on the leaner side, she was a foot short than I, maybe an inch more, waist small as I'd felt it, breasts smaller as well, her sweater not creating any swell to make room for them.

Different style completely from what I recall.

"Tell me about the normalities now." I said and her lip trembled as she cleared her throat.

She spoke of marriage and how it isn't exactly pushed anymore, plenty get married, but plenty remain independent and that seems strange.

Women are less conservative, more skin showing, like stomachs, busts, and thighs.

She spoke about the Declaration of Independence from 1776 and women's rights as well as large, global events that have taken place.

Foul words that were now common daily language.

Weird.

Religion also wasn't as common and I found that sad.

"What about you? What's it like being a... vampire priest?"

"I wouldn't call myself a priest any longer. I am not worthy of being the word of god. I am immortal. That itself is a sin. A disease."

"No. It wasn't your choice was it?"

"No."

"So why would that matter? Don't you believe in gods plan?"

"I do."

"Maybe this was it." She murmured, looking flushed, lips pink and soft, eyes red and worried.

"Perhaps." I leaned against my coffin.

She took a step back.

"Leaving so soon?"

"Can I? I have to get back to campus."

"Campus?"

"College."

"Where do you go?" I wondered.

"I know you've never left but do you want to see?" She asked.

"I'm unsure that is the best choice."

"That's alright."

I walked toward her, making her breathing quicken, stumbling back a few steps.

I grabbed her head, fingers in her soft hair.

She was so warm as I pressed my nose to her throat.

"You come back here tomorrow. If you don't, you're the first human I've smelt. I have you memorized. I'll find you. Maybe I'll contemplate my first kill." I whispered to scare her.

She gripped onto my wrists, petrified.

She smelt so good.

I felt myself falling into it, my lips touching the soft flesh.

She whimpered in panicked, trying to squirm from me.

"Silly girl. You're not strong." I let her go and tears welled her eyes.

"Tell me your name." I said.

"No." She wiped her eyes.

"Try again." I smiled.

"Elira."

"Mmmmm. Lovely name for a lovely girl. I'll see you tomorrow, Elira."

-

I was nice. I had counted. It had been 26 hours. I was irritated.

She believed I was not serious.

So I left, walking along the pavement beside a busy, strangely striped road and stopped by something called a store or shop?

I walked in, speaking to the local people who work here for modern money and I explained my situation.

She handed me a black shirt in XL as well as black pants and I asked what that meant.

She told me my clothes were out of date and ruined with burn marks.

She taught me of money and clothing, of a hairdresser down the road.

I went, recognizing the owner as a man I knew a long time ago. His name is Raymond Douglas, he came into my Confessional and confessed of his sins before he died.

Well, he's here, but "died".

"I thought you died in that fire." He stared.

"That's quite a term. But I did. Hello." I nodded.

"Haircut?" He asked.

"Please." I nodded.

He sat me down and taught me the changes from our day to now. I explained how I'd hadn't left.

"Still stuck in your godly ways, Father Kain?"

"Yes."

"I see. No wife, no food?"

"No. I am undeserving."

"Father, I must say, you must accept who you are. Taste a drop of blood, it's like candy, if I believe anything it's that god gave us humans to live in paradise. Fun little things they are. Lifespan so short." He chuckled.

"It's in the Bible to-"

"Kain, you have been gone for three centuries. Bibles have been updated, changed. Some even include how we aren't sins. That we are good. Like humans who are good and bad, we are the same. We have rules to follow to still be godly in our long lives." He told me.

"The word can't be rewritten-"

"It can. And it was. You need to stop punishing yourself for something that wasn't your fault." Hair fell across the sheet in front of me.

He cleaned me up nicely.

"Please, try a drop. Tell me how you feel. Live. This century is much more free and forgiving. This isn't 1735 anymore."

"I'll see." I have a stiff smile.

He grabbed my wrist before I made it out of the door.

He handed me a leather cover, newer than the one I was used to.

"Read it, father. I know you're stuck in your ways, but you'll see, not all of us are bad."

I nodded. "Thank you, Raymond."

He smiled and let me go. It was so small I put it in the back pocket of these oddly fitted pants.

"Ray?" I asked reopening the door.

"Yes?"

"Directions to the college by the cathedral?"

"Take a left at the end of the road, walk a while, make a right beside some strange looking memorial benches, you'll see the buildings."

"Thanks."