PART 1- THE ENCOUNTER

"Isle, Isle", a distant sound.....of someone calling my name. I slowly opened my eyes and saw the white ceiling above me. 

Drowsiness slowly engulfed me followed by pain. My head was dizzy, trying to figure out the voice. I looked around and saw the worried face of my mother. 

"Isle, are you okay?" her eyes were full of worry. 

 "I am sorry for troubling you" I whispered tiredly with a hoarse and dry voice. 

She squeezed my hand and breathed a sigh of relief. 

 "No worries dear, you never trouble me at all, I am glad you woke up" she smiled.

 "How long.......how long, I was passed out?"She hesitated. But the nurse beside me replied, 

"Four days, Ms. Wallice" She looked at me with sympathy. 

I slowly took the information to my head. I wanted to sit up but my body was against me. I was too tired. Four days huh? The last thing I remembered was that I was losing consciousness, my lungs were aching so badly and I could not breathe.

 "I want to go home....." I said tiredly.

 She smiled apologetically, "Just a few more days dear, the doctor has to run some tests" 

I did not say anything. Not that I agreed with the decision but I had no energy to argue. Also, the place 'hospital' was very familiar to me. More familiar than my own home. It was like an annoying friend that never let me go even though I wanted to get rid of it. Also, me and my stupid weak lungs.

Yes!! I had weak lungs since childhood. I had undergone surgery when I was ten but the problem was never solved completely. The problem always triggered whenever I took too much stress and anxiety.

 As I was thinking all this, I felt a hand on my forehead, "Your father was so worried about you. He said sorry for not coming since he could not leave Florida" 

It's okay....Mom, I am not angry", I gave a weak smile. 

She kissed my forehead and told me to sleep before she left the room. There was no further sound except the one from the IV drip. Slowly and slowly my eyelids came closing down and drifted off to my slumber. 

It was already dark when I woke up. I was feeling a little better. The pain was gone and my eyes were now wide open. I slowly sat up by myself. I looked at the clock. It was ten-fifteen. I looked around. My mom probably went home as it was already past visiting hours. 

I sighed and then looked at the table. There was a book and a small note from my mom, 

"This will help you with your boredom"

Yeah! It will. Soon the nurse checked on me and served my dinner (which was bland and awful), and medicine. Even though I was wide awake and feeling a little better, the fatigue was still there. I was glad that I was not feeling drowsy anymore. 

But soon I regretted everything because here I was wide awake even though it was past twelve. The room was dark and silent except for the sound of the ticking clock. I sat up on my bed and groaned. I was feeling like an insomniac patient. I slowly walked out of my bed. My feet were feeling wobbly but I ignored it. I had to pee badly. After using the washroom, I walked out of my room. The hallway was dark but still visible. I could only hear the sound of machines and there was no soul, no staff. Strange!!! Even though I was in fear of being caught by my nurse, I still began to walk further. I just could not lie on my bed like a sleepless patient anymore.

 As I was walking further, I realized the hallway was getting darker and I was losing my way. Might be because this hospital and this town were new to me except for my disease.