PART 5- EPILOGUE

Darkness....pitch black darkness....surrounding me from every direction.

 Where am I?

 I could hear various sounds, all mixed, and it was difficult for me to distinguish between them. I could feel someone...holding my hand. The touch was rough and fragile but it was...warm.

 Suddenly...my body was engulfed by sheer pain. Terrible...

 I could also feel something under my nose...the cannula maybe?

 But...whoever was holding my hand, I wanted to tell them that I was awake. And for that, I used all that residual strength, just to squeeze the hand softly. Another gust of pain sprang through my body. Even though my eyes were closed, I could feel that person moving. A distant voice... 

"Isle....." it was a woman's voice, old and motherly. 

I could hear her calling for someone. A moment of silence...then the sound of several footsteps echoed in my ears. 

A voice...a man's voice.

 "Ms Wallice, are you awake? Can you hear me?" 

I wanted to answer the man's question but I had no energy to talk... 

"Ms. Wallice" that man again, "If you can hear me, then can you try to open your eyes, slowly" 

I never thought that a simple task like opening your eyes could be this difficult. Because I used everything I had, just to open my eyes. But as soon as I opened it, lightly, the bright white lights blinded me. My vision was blurry at first but then slowly and steadily it got cleared. I recognized the man as Dr. Barron Stroke and the woman beside him as my grandmother. Her cheeks were stained with the tears falling uncontrollably from her eyes. She was crying.

But second, by second, it became painful for me to remain awake. 

"Ms. Wallice, I understand that it's difficult for you to remain awake, but can you stay awake for a few more minutes? It's important otherwise there is a chance that you can fall back to coma again"

 I did what he told me, even though it was painful. Those few minutes seemed like years.

 After a while, he said'"Good job, you can sleep now" 

Before he could say anything further, I closed my eyes and immediately fell asleep.

 When I woke up the next day, I was feeling a little bit better. My eyes were still not opening fully and I still had no energy to talk. I was being monitored frequently by the doctors.  

My grandmother didn't even leave my side the whole day. Sometimes she would hold my hand softly. Sometimes she would just stroke my hair. But I was searching for someone. My eyeballs were scanning the whole room.

 "Isle...." my grandmother called my name softly. As if she already figured out my intentions.

 "I am so happy that you woke up. I know that it's been only one day since you opened your eyes and I should not give you any further pain. But I can't see you being so painfully desperate, searching for someone who is..... al-already...."

 Before she could say anything more, she started crying. 

"I am sorry, but-but, Amy-Amy....she is...." 

In no time she became a sobbing mess.And in no time, I could feel my soul crushing to pieces so small that I doubt, could ever be joined again. The pain was too much to bear. Mom was dead. My only life support...was gone. I was feeling crushed by my emotions.

Birthdays are meant for celebrations, right? It's a time when you get new things that you can cherish forever.

 What an irony!