CHAPTER 24

CHAPTER 24 - IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG?

The ride from the restaurant to the Casa was a smooth and enjoyable one. All thanks to Lukas. He made the whole journey fun, and he even shared some of his adventure stories.

For a moment there, I forgot I was talking with someone who was part of the mafia family, or even related to Theo--who was very serious and authoritative, and not really the conversationalist type.

Lukas was different. He made me feel like I was talking to an old friend, instead of someone so powerful and intimidating. It was refreshing and welcoming.

"I travelled from one place to another. I had the sense of freedom and it was fun. At that time, I didn't see myself as part of the Mafia, let alone feel like the powerful Salvatore. I was just me, with my own ideas and my own plans. I was free to explore the world and create my own destiny."

"It must have been so liberating to explore the world and create your own future without any constraints, huh?" I commented excitedly.

Exploring the world, I wonder what it feels like?

Lukas hummed a yeah in response. There was a slight hesitation on his part, like he was thinking twice about continuing. But eventually, he did. "But you know how my family is. They always say family first. That's the motto. We gotta put our families first, no matter what. Even if it means sacrificing our own interests or dreams."

Our conversation shifted from a jolly to a more serious one. I could sense a bit of dismay in his voice. And to be honest, I was so surprised at how open he was about his family's expectations and his own personal desires.

I had never heard Theo talk about his family in such a vulnerable way. Well, if I was being honest, I had never had this kind of conversation with Theo at all!

"So, was there a point where you sacrificed your own interests for your family?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Well, there was an incident. But I told them I wasn't ready for it at that time." Lukas paused, and then continued, "They're tired of me jumping from country to country. So, their idea of putting me in one place is to arrange to marry someone, as a way of settling down."

It doesn't take a genius to know what Lukas is talking about. I already knew that I had been promised to him first, but initially I didn't know the reason why us didn't happen. I had an impression that he declined, not until Theo told me that he stepped in and took over.

"Then Theo took over," I whispered. "Maybe he sensed you didn't want to-"

"Not really." Lukas interrupted my speech, as if he knew where I was getting at. "I was actually considering it. I had been nothing but a disappointment to the family since my rebellion stage and by the time I got ready to make myself worthy, by agreeing to that proposal, it was already too late. The Don said Theodore was more than willing to take the responsibility." Lukas imitated the Don's voice as he said the last part.

"Willing, huh?" I bit out bitterly.

What kind of person would marry someone else when they already have someone else in their heart? Only the cold-hearted ones.

Before, I tried to understand Theo's situation. I thought he had no choice. He was forced to marry me instead of Penelope. I thought that we were arranged to be married the moment we were born because of our grandfathers' pact.

But now? I just couldn't understand why. It was so frustrating to think about.

"To be honest, everyone was shocked." Lukas laughed, as if he was trying to lighten the mood. "Nobody saw it coming. Out of all of us, Theo was most insistent in not wanting to get married. He kept saying marriage would just interfere with his duties as the next Don. That it would be a pain to keep saving a damsel in distress when the danger of the mafia boss' world became too much for her. But then, here you are."