CHAPTER 40

CHAPTER 40 - MAKE YOU FEEL MY LOVE

I wasn't sure what to make of this situation, where these comments came from. I had no idea who spread such rumors and I was worried about the potential damage this could do.

I was about to pull my hand off Lukas' grasp, but he already let it go. And despite the situation, he looked unconcerned and even said, "Ignore them, it doesn't matter what they say. We know what's real and that's all that matters."

I wanted to argue back, tell him that ignoring wouldn't do any good, especially if these rumors reached Theo--my real husband.

But then again, I remember how Theo was secretive about our marriage. Was our relationship included as well?

I scanned the room. I noticed that people had stopped looking at us, and started minding their own business. I was relieved, but at the same time, I couldn't help but question the reason behind this secrecy.

Theo mentioned before he just wanted to keep me safe.

So, what if this was a way to hide me from the public eye? To keep my identity hidden? What if Theo was trying to keep me safe from the prying eyes of others? What if he was trying to protect me from any potential harm? Afterall, there were other families here aside from the Salvatores.

Did he see them as threats? But they were supposed to be close families, right?

Also, did Lukas know about this? That's the only explanation I could come up with because he was so relaxed about it.

Whatever the reason was, I just had to get to the bottom of this. He could hide me all he wanted, but at least let me know the reason and until when.

But before I could even ask Lukas for further information about the situation, the sound of clinking glass interrupted my thoughts. I turned around to see who it was. It was the Don. He stepped up to the makeshift stage in the middle of the ballroom.

"Dear friends and beloveds. I am honored to stand here before you tonight, welcoming you all to this momentous occasion. It is my deepest pleasure to have you all with me to celebrate my special day."

Claps echoed in the room as the Don started his speech.

"After this, I'm heading to Italy to visit my one and only Nora. Occasions like this make me miss her presence a lot." Everyone was captivated by the Don's sad, but sweet memory of his beloved. This was met with awe and admiration. Truly, the Don's love for his wife was an inspiring sight for everyone in the room.

Nora was the Don's wife. She was buried in her beloved hometown in Italy--as she requested before she died, and the Don constantly visited her especially on her birthdays and their anniversaries.

I turned to Lukas to ask something, "Didn't the Don just came back months ago from his trip to Italy?"

"Yes, and I think he will go there for a different reason this time."

"When is he leaving?"

"Tonight."

"Tonight? Like literally after the celebration? What's with the rush?"

"Seems like he'd be there for a much more important matter."

I frowned at him and inquired. "What do you think it is?" What could be far more important that he couldn't wait to leave for?

Lukas shook his head, genuine confusion written all over his face. "No idea. He just started assigning me tasks while he was away. But there's no doubt that the Boss knows about it."