Chapter 59

Just as Naruto was about to master his new jutsu and had defeated Kakashi in battle, a jonin came running up. His breathing was rapid and he placed his hands on his thighs. "What's wrong?" asked Yamato, waiting for the man to speak. "Asuma Sarutobi, he...he fell."

Hinari's eyes widened while her heart was torn into a thousand pieces. Asuma was dead!? Why?! You could see the grief in her eyes and it wasn't long before she started running. The Uchiha ignored Naruto's shouts. She absolutely had to get to Shikamaru. She didn't want to know what was going on inside him. Hinari ran through Konoha as fast as she could. Her eyes were always on the people to see Shikamaru. But no matter where she looked, he had vanished from the face of the earth. "Hinari." she heard the brittle voice of Ino, who was now standing in front of her.

Without hesitation, Hinari hugged her friend who was crying. Hinari held her tightly and tried to calm herself down. Nevertheless, the tears left her eyes as well. Asuma had become a friend with whom she could talk about everything. He taught her how to play shogi alongside Shikamaru. He gave her the task of protecting the children. "I couldn't save him. My healing wasn't strong enough!" cried Ino, causing Hinari to hug her even tighter. "It's not your fault, Ino." Hinari spoke softly. While Ino told her what had happened, Hinari became angry. How could Akatsuki do something so horrible? !Even though Itachi was with them, he would never have killed someone so cold-heartedly. He hadn't even killed her clan so coldly, although it looked that way to everyone.

"Where is Shikamaru?" Hinari asked, looking into the blonde's watery eyes. "He has withdrawn. Tsunade wants to organize the funeral service today." she said quietly, wiping away her tears.

So he had withdrawn instead of talking. That was certainly typical Nara again. "Don't worry about him, Hinari. Shikamaru can take a lot." But the Uchiha shook her head. No, he couldn't take much, she had learned that. Asuma was an important person for him. He was never strong enough for that. But unfortunately, she had to give him time to calm himself down now. What she had learned was that sometimes you just had to leave the Nara alone. And she realized something. The uneasy feeling she had was not wrong. Her gut had warned her.

The funeral service was depressing. The last one Hinari had attended was that of the third Hokage. In addition to him, Konohamaru had also lost the last person in his family. His uncle Asuma.

Besides him, Kurenai was also very upset. Hinari had heard that she and Asuma were a couple and were expecting a child. Unfortunately, this child would never meet his father. Was that why Asuma had called the children king?

Did he only realize this question when he was expecting a child or did he know it beforehand? But when she had played shogi with him, Kurenai was not pregnant. Or was she? It confused Hinari all the more. But what puzzled her even more was that Shikamaru was not present. She could feel his chakra nearby, but not here in the place where everyone was standing. "Oh Shikamaru..."

Unfortunately, the funeral service did not last long. Because now everyone realized that action had to be taken. Akatsuki was getting worse and worse and nobody knew how far they had gotten with the bijuus. Hinari didn't know either. It had been too long since she had heard from Itachi.

When evening came, Hinari could no longer sit idly by and wait. She finally had to see Shikamaru, who had not yet contacted anyone. Even though Hinari had experienced worse things, she could still feel like she was losing someone. She had had Sasuke with her all these years. They gave each other the support they needed. Now it was Shikamaru's turn and Hinari would be the person who would give him support. She was his firm friend.

At the estate, she entered the house as usual and recognized the sad look on his mother's face. Without saying anything, Hinari walked on. The Nara knew exactly what she was up to. Not even her husband could do anything about his grief. Perhaps Hinari could finally get him to talk and cry. But that was no longer necessary. As Hinari was about to go to Shikamaru, she heard a shogi board crash against the wall. Her eyes widened as Shikaku stood opposite his son and just looked at him.

"Let it out, Shikamaru!" the nara shouted, which may sound a little insensitive to many. But Hinari could tell from his chakra, his posture and his eyes that he only wanted to help his son. And as if on cue, Shikamaru froze as his father turned his back on him, nodded briefly to Hinari and left the room.

A cry could be heard that sounded more painful than Ino's. Tears ran from Shikamaru's eyes as he finally realized that it was good to cry. Without waiting any longer, Hinari ran towards her friend, put her arms around his shoulders and pulled him close to her. The Nara automatically put his arms around her back and continued to cry. The warmth that came from his girlfriend calmed him and did him good.

"I'm here for you, Shikamaru. Talk to me if something is bothering you. No matter what's bothering you and eating away at you. I will be your support." Hinari spoke softly while Shikamari hugged her even closer. How did he deserve such a girl?