Inconsiderate

"Seriously Naina, the fifth time in this single month?", an exasperated Veer sighed in frustration. His wife had just returned home after a tiring day at work. What hurt Veer the most was that she had forgotten his birthday this time.

"Veer, dude, don't start now. I am absolutely exhausted. We are literally running on deadlines.", an extremely tired Naina sat on the couch and closed her eyes.

"I understand this Naina. I understand all of it, but what about us? This is the fifth time in this month that you cancelled our date night. This is been happening since the past few months. I am not complaining. Not at all, but you are literally just not there these days. Do you even remember the last time we actually spent time together?", Veer was genuinely upset with Naina's nonchalance. He still could not bring himself to remind her of his birthday.

"So what Veer? I do not go to my office for passing my time. I have work, lots of it. Why do you start your cribbing every time I reach home? And what other work do you have than staying at home, huh? I earn money for us, I work hard all day, only to come home to your irritating words. At least sometimes, try to understand me. Not all of us have the liberty to stay at home all day doing nothing.", Naina yelled in anger.

Veer stood stunned. Defying the normal conventions of the society, he had decided to be a house husband because he was comfortable in that role. He loved being at home toiling all day round for his family - his Naina and their child. Naina had always wanted to be a business woman and Veer was her sole supporter. Since they had gotten married four years ago, it had been decided between them that Veer would tend to their home and Naina would be the bread-winner.

Hearing those words from Naina today, Veer remembered his mom's tearful face when his dad had uttered the same words to her, also on his birthday 15 years prior. His mom had prepared for them delicious treats only to have her efforts and love being looked down upon by his dad. He had sworn that day to never be like his dad. And here he was today, in the same position as his mom, again, on his birthday.

'Perhaps this day is cursed.', he thought bitterly.

He felt a lump in his throat. Naina glanced at Veer's stoic and numb face while ranting angrily at him and recognized her mistake. She took a step ahead towards him as if trying to make up for those harsh words, but he raised his palm to stop her. The damage had already been done.

"Sorry to be such a bother Naina. I just, we haven't spent time together since our anniversary the last year and I was hoping for you to give some of your time to me and to our kid. I am sorry. I should understand you have work and that you earn for us. Sorry again.", Veer uttered in a cold and defeated tone.

Naina's heart clenched listening to those words. She knew she had crossed a limit today, the limit of mutual respect. Veer had always been the most supportive, kind and a truly wonderful partner and father. Most importantly, he had always respected all of her wishes and ambitions, and today, she disrespected him in the harshest manner. A lone tear rolled down her cheek.

She opened her mouth for apologizing when she saw Veer going into the kitchen. She saw a cake laid on the dining table.

She suddenly remembered, it was his birthday. And she had hurt him in the worst possible manner. Where she should have treated him today, he himself had cooked all her favourite dishes and patiently waited for her. She could not even imagine the emotional turmoil she had put Veer in. She felt like the worst human being ever. How could she hurt him! Her precious Veer.

He packed the cake and other foodstuffs and placed them in the fridge. She just did not know how she could behave so distantly and coldly with her beloved Veer. The always loving and caring and smiling Veer. He had told her about his father and she did the same.

Naina felt extremely guilty now looking at Veer's numb face. Their eyes met while she had been looking at him. Veer's face was stoic, not giving away anything, but his eyes swirled with hurt and pain. He understood from her guilty gaze that she had now known about his birthday.

'The cake must have given in. I should have hidden it already. So stupid of me to bring myself a cake for my birthday.', he thought, feeling hurt beyond words.

Naina could feel it. She knew, she had to make everything right now. She just had to figure out how. Not just Veer's birthday, she knew she had to fix their relationship. It was high time now.

An unconventional story, 

But a conventional theme

Respect for all the home-makers!!

Do let me know how you liked this!

And don't forget to vote, comment and share!!

See you later :)