04. Yet, you gave me a Name.

Golden rays from the sun during the ungodly hours at dawn seeped through the tiny gap between the curtains through the window, as it gently fell on Neuvillette who was silently sleeping beside the little baby

Feeling the warmth of the golden rays that slightly fell on her, the little one scrunched her eyebrows as she tried opening her eyes, stretching her hands. Leaving a little yawn, she saw the familiar figure of Neuvillette who was still asleep beside her with his hand close to her. 

Seeing him made the little one slightly giggle. She played with her hands and continued to smile and giggle as she saw Neuvillette. Disturbed from noises of excited giggles, the said man woke up from his sleep to find the smiling baby look at him curiously as she drooled slightly. 

He brought his hand over to her stomach and patted her as a peaceful expression was set in his face. "Looks like you are ready for the day." he muttered in a low raspy tone, still not completely awake from his sleep. His fingers gently wiped off the drool from her tiny little lips.

His eyes were completely focused on the little baby who was trying to hold his fingers. Seeing her energy at such an hour, he chuckled slightly to himself. Taking the notice of time on the clock he realized it was almost time he got ready for his day. 

A deep sigh left his chest. Looking back at the child, he was finally certain about one thing. 

"(Y/n) de Fontaine." He muttered beneath his breath, quite proud of the name he had given her. Shifting a bit more closer to her, he once again repeated the name, 

"Your name is (Y/n) de Fontaine. From today on I will legally adopt you as my daughter." He said to the baby who was looking at him with her head slightly tilt. She suddenly burst into laughter, moving hands and legs, back and forth in excitement. 

Neuvillette smiled warmly before her placed a tender little kiss on her forehead as he picked her up into his arm. He wasn't sure how but over the past few days, it seemed as if the two got closer. 

Though he initially planned to leave her in the trustworthy hands of the Fontaine Children's welfare society, he couldn't help but keep rethinking his decision. Eventually, he ended up realizing how she was as lonely as him. His loneliness was eternal for all he knew but hers wasn't. She had a short life ahead of her compared to his lifespan. 

Knowing how much loneliness had once hurt him, he wished to give the child a much bearable future. 

...

"Whaaaat! You? You are adopting her!? Are you sure you aren't jesting with me, Iudex?" Furina asked with a shocked expression as she placed her tea cup down, looking at the man who was sampling the water in his lavish silver cup.