114 ∞ Questions and Doubts

A/N: To our loyal and faithful Readers, we appreciate and value each and every one of you. After every chapter posting, we look with anticipation for your votes. We notice when one of you is gone. We read every comment and answer with joy, your feedback is what makes this project worth it.

So with that, let us apologize for the week's delay in posting Chapter 114. We feel as if we have let you down and will strive to not do so again. Our reason for the delay is multifaceted. One, Chapter 114 is almost six thousand words long. Two, Chronicle Two is twice as long as C1, so we decided to divide it in half, and therefore there will now be three chronicles.

The title of C3 is currently 'A Shard of Code'. However, if any of our loyal Readers wish to read C3 as a separate entity and come up with a better-suited title, we will be sure to recognize and give proper credit at the end of the book. This contest is open only to our loyal Readers. (Sorry, silent Readers, you're out of luck.)

To continue, please pardon all the notifications during this construction period. The dust will settle down soon enough, and we will be back to our regular posting schedule. Now, on to chapter 114 and we hope it is worth the wait.

   —Sincerely, Raven (and Lady Annika)

≈ ∞ ≈

Day 00013 Mission Nilex

Ayla stopped at the bottom of the ramp and looked back to watch the Garden door swing past her, cutting her off from a magical world. The gap narrowed till she could see it no more, and then, with a final puff of air into the corridor, the door sealed shut.

A long, silent breath escaped her as a faint mist cloud. She didn't want to be here. She longed to be back there with Gareth's hand in hers, watching the stars and falling snowflakes. But Gareth was standing by the transport plate, waiting for her. Reluctant, she turned back to him, about to join him, when a movement above her caught her eye.

A single snowflake floated down to land on her outstretched gloved palm. Star-shaped and delicate with symmetric details that glistened at her in the bright lighting of the corridor. It grew transparent and lost its shape until all that remained was a wet fleck on her glove.

Wistful, Ayla went to Gareth. Without a word, he removed her gloves and put them on the transport plate. He knelt to help her remove her boots next and stood up to loosen the cord under her chin. He paused and watched as she pushed the hood all the way back and squinted against the light.

She couldn't tell what he was feeling deep down—the void of nothing was keeping him separate. On the surface, his emotions conveyed a mix of tenderness toward her, battling with a sense of caution and adrenaline. She stood still and let him unbutton her parka, then turned around to shed it as he held it by the shoulders.

With everything on the transport plate, Gareth dug into the parka pockets. He pulled out the two handfuls of chestnuts and the round red fruit and dropped them into the sack of food she'd harvested from the first Garden.

He handed her the sack. "Ahmid has inquired into your whereabouts. Canaisis told him you were talking with me, but you should return quickly before he worries too much." He gestured for her to come with him.

Ayla nodded, realizing with guilt she'd completely dismissed Ahmid from her mind. As she walked beside Gareth, eyes now adjusted to the brighter, yet soft illumination of the corridor, her thoughts raced. Ahmid would have more questions tonight. The questions he'd posed earlier on the way to get the tools from the hangar still weighed on her mind. She wasn't sure she had all the answers to satisfy him—or even herself—and some answers she wouldn't want to give.