7- talk 2 me

parker 

parker 

present; narrative

Desperation. A word I would have never used to describe myself. I was never desperate, when someone was mad at me I let them stay mad, waiting till they came running back to me. I would never admit I was wrong and suck up my pride to run after someone else, it was embarrassing but recently I had found myself pining over Hailey for the past few days. Obviously I saw her at practice but it's almost like she had a secret lair in the dressing room to leave without me seeing her. I found myself asking her teammates if they'd seen her, and if they hadn't where I could potentially find her. When I was alone at night I felt embarrassed by my actions but the next day when I woke up I was just trying to find her, trying to get her annoying old attitude back.

Today was nothing new, another day of searching for that blonde hair everywhere. Campus was huge but if I could barely navigate it after almost 4 years here she was definitely struggling more than I was. I figured she only knew of a few places, having checked all of them almost everyday and still not being able to catch her. I didn't even know what I would say if I did, something mean? Or would I actually have to own up to slightly missing her. No way, I could barely say it to myself that I seriously liked her, let alone missed her. I wasn't good with all that corny stuff.

I was on my way to Poa and Aneesah's shared apartment. I had nothing better to do, having finished all my classes for the day and honestly just wanting to fall into Poa's arms and scream. She was always my twin, same with Aneesah. We were all basically carbon copies of each other. They understood me in ways no one else did, especially my love language of just being mean.

I opened the door without knocking and made myself comfortable. Neither of them were home yet, having just gotten out of practice while I was in class. They were both ok with me coming over, the whole reason they gave me a key sophomore year. I flopped onto their couch, always finding other people's furniture comfier than my own and snuggling under all the fluffy purple throw blankets they had. I turned on a random TV show already feeling better and the girls weren't even here yet. Maybe my apartment just had negative energy since I admitted to liking Hailey there, which still felt uneasy to think about.

It didn't take long till I heard the girls walking inside, what I wasn't expecting was to see Hailey and Jae just happily following behind them. I shot up from my very sad and ugly position on the couch, flattening my hair down to make myself more presentable. When Poa and Aneesah saw me they weren't even fazed, walking into their house like normal while Poa ran to me and flopped on top of me. I saw Hailey's eyes roll, a few weeks ago I would've been satisfied with that reaction but now I was even more confused. My mere existence just annoyed her now?

"I missed you bitch." Poa said from her spot on top of me, somehow maneuvering herself to be laying down next to me under the blankets as well.

We stayed like that ignoring the conversation the other 3 girls were having in the kitchen. The only times my ears seemed to tune into their conversation was when I heard Hailey add something or laugh along. I wanted to get up and join but I knew I couldn't without it being awkward and me wanting to rip my hair out from how annoyed I was, but also how excited I was to be in such close proximity to her.