8- girls just wanna have fun

parker 

parker 

present; narrative 

November 3rd. A day that was only my own since I was younger. I didn't accept the fact that other people shared the same birthday as me, obviously as I've gotten older I was more tolerant of that fact but it still annoyed me. I always wanted to have a huge cake, a ginormous birthday party and a princess tiara. The last 3 years at LSU the girls made sure I felt like it was my day, one year Angel even had Shaq show up and I cried for a good 30 minutes straight. Since it was my senior year and was already piling up with finals I had to dial it down, not very happy about that but Quinn and Luca had to step in and stop me.

This year all the girls told me to just show up at Angel's apartment at 8. They didn't give me any other instructions, or even a dress code. Quinn had left hours earlier and hadn't texted me since they were trying to keep this a secret as best as they could.

Birthdays at LSU had been the most special ones. Quinn and I were both from Minnesota so home was far, and even then my family wasn't very fond of calling. After my dad died when I was 13 my whole family just fell apart. My mom started working crazy hours and was never home and she was all I had. I didn't have any blood siblings so that's when I started staying at Quinn's house almost every night. Her mom gave me every meal she could, her older brother drove me to school and scared away girls that broke my heart. They were the closest thing to an actual family I'd ever had.

I was very hesitantly walking down the hallway to Angel's apartment, usually I planned my own birthdays but now not being in control scared me. I knew they wouldn't do anything bad, they knew me better than anyone but it didn't make it any less scary.

My mind drifted to Hailey as I stood outside of the door, waiting to knock. Would she actually be there when I opened the door or did she not actually care? I didn't want Hailey's presence to dictate how I felt on my birthday but I would definitely be a little pissed if she was a no show, especially after basically inviting herself.

I knocked softly, still nervous but when I didn't get a reply I tried the handle and it was open. I walked in, the apartment was completely dark and I laughed, of course they wanted to do the whole surprise party thing. I closed the door, turning around.

"SURPRISE!" They all screamed in unison, turning the lights on and jumping out for their spots. I jumped, not expecting how loud they would be before turning around and laughing. I looked over everyone in the room, my eyes immediately falling to Luca standing next to his sister. He went to the University of Minnesota and after he graduated he just spent his time traveling. It was rare to see him, even on holidays when we went home. I ran to him, hugging him as tightly as I could and he swayed me around. Luca had been my brotherly figure since I was 5 years old and had stayed that way my whole life. He picked me up when I was in trouble, he took me out for lunch when I was having a bad day and fought a guy when he grabbed my ass at a party.