Chapter 4

Nixx

"Their form is weak."

Tristan jumps at the sound of my voice, and then rolls his eyes before saying, "I know. That's why I'm running drills on a Saturday. It's better than last week, and their attack stances have really improved."

I watch the soldiers in training for a minute. The punches look tighter than last time, and I can definitely see some footwork that's been practiced, as Tristan said. But every time they go to strike, I see at least two open weak spots that could leave them dead.

"It's not good enough," I say, still observing. "I want them training every Saturday until I see improvement. The rogues don't stop attacking just because our soldiers aren't combat ready."

Tristan's eyes flare wide as his mouth opens, then shuts again.

"Get them fighting ready, Tristan," I start as I walk away. "I'm trusting you."

That rogue on the border forced me to double patrols, but I couldn't use resources I didn't have, so all the soldiers in training were bumped up to higher lessons and a faster paced learning process. I don't love that I had to force them to adapt at an incredibly fast rate, but I know they can handle it, and I honestly have no other choice.

"Alpha!" A voice shouts from the left.

I look over to see Rowan jogging over to me, and I internally cringe.

He obviously has news about the rogue, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to just kill her and get it over with. Rogues are a waste of space and time. Just because one saunters over and claims she wants to talk does not mean we invite her in for tea and crumpets.

"What's the verdict, Rowan?" I ask.

He runs two hands through his hair before saying, "I think you should hear what she has to say."

The words look like they physically pain him, and I don't blame him, because I feel the audacity of them from here.

I cross my arms over my chest.

"Why would I do that?"

His brows furrow and he hesitates, eyes flicking from me to the training field.

"Kyler thinks the stray is...... human.

I pause, rub my jaw, then scoff.

"How would a human make it that far into the forest? It's impossible, and Kyler told me her scent was clearly rogue."

He swallows, and I honestly don't think I've ever seen him this nervous.

"Her scent was confusing because of the rogue that was chasing her. It must have... rubbed off on her or something. All I know for sure is that she's currently sitting in one of our cells, and I think you should come down and at least decide what to do."

I laugh, but there's absolutely no humour in it.

"You brought a human into our pack?"

I say the words calmly, like the gentle breeze that warns of a storm.

"I had no idea she was human until Kyler talked to me afterwards. By that time she was already here. Believe me, I had no intention to-"

"I don't care about your intentions, Rowan!" My words carry, and I lower my voice as I see heads turn toward us. "Whether your intentions were good or bad doesn't change the fact that we have a human in our pack right now. Do you know what this means?! The danger that her presence brings? We haven't ever had a human make it this far in the forest, and you know why? Because they're supposed to be dead by the time any pack is in reaching distance. So how did she make it so far?"

His jaw clenches as silence fills the space between us. This isn't technically his fault, but I can't exactly take it out on the oblivious human currently residing in our dungeons. What. A. Mess.

I sigh before saying, "Let's go. I want to see the thing that's causing all this trouble. Maybe she is a rogue and you and Kyler are just coming down with something that's obstructing your senses."

At Rowan's cringe, I know I'm just wishfully thinking now.

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

I stare at the unconscious girl for a long minute, jaw clenched and feet planted, trying desperately to ignore the scent that's pushing itself through my nose. The scent that started as soon as I stepped down the stairs. The scent that I've been searching everywhere for.

My mate.

My wolf pushes at my walls for the 100th time since we've been down here, but I push back. Nobody can know about this, and as soon as I give him control, the whole damn pack will be alerted, so I keep him blocked as I assess the scene in front of me.

If the girl's scent wasn't indication enough, her entire form screams human, and I have no idea how Ky and Rowan didn't figure it out sooner.

She's unconscious, but I'm afraid if I ask why that is, it'll come out as a growl, so I keep my mouth shut for now.

Dark purple smudges line the ring of her delicate throat, and my wolf pushes yet again. It takes everything within me to keep him at bay.

"How long has she been like this?"

"Unconscious?" Rowan asks, tilting his head.

My wolf growls and I slam my walls back up.

"All of it," I grit out.

He rubs the back of his neck before sighing.

"Well, I think she may have hurt her hand while running from the rogue. The bruises on her neck are from when I had a...... intense, conversation with her. And I don't actually know why she's unconscious. Must have happened when I left."

My muscles tighten to the point of pain as I simultaneously hold my tongue and my wolf back. Nobody will find out about this. Ever.

I clear my throat before saying, "I want her looked at by the pack doctor."

He turns appalled eyes my way and asks, "Are you sure that's safe?"

"Are you questioning your own strength against a human?"

He swallows hard.

"Well no, but she could run away, and since she got this far into the forest, I have no doubt she can easily find her way out."

I internally cringe. This situation is so not what I thought it was.

"Restrain her if you wish, but I want her injuries thoroughly looked at first."

I go to walk out but he calls from behind me.

"Why the sudden concern?"

I narrow my eyes on the ground before saying, "If you would like to keep questioning my commands, I can easily arrange for you to no longer be under them."

An audible gulp fills the air, and my lips tip despite me trying to keep them neutral.

"I'll get her to the doctor right away, Alpha."

I nod.

"Good choice."

A/N
Thank you for reading!
I would love feedback, so please comment and vote!❤️